11 posts in this topic

Heading out to Back Bay Wildlife Refuge before sunrise Sunday morning. Gates open 1/2 hour before sunrise ( 5:48) so we can be on the beach while the fish are in close . Going to try for some toothy critters out deep and some Pompano and mullet in close while throwing Metals for Spanish . Planning on spending 1/2 a day but that will probably mean 12 hours not 12 noon ! Anyone care to join us come on down it should be a great day on the beach !

Was called into work at 3:00am so we did not make it to the beach at 5:15 like planned but it was more like 6:15 when we got there .Managed a few good sunrise shots on the way in . Hit the beach and it was just an amazing start to the day . Dead low tide . We caught a Blue @ 18" then a Spot and then another 15" Blue that looked like something tried taking a bite out of him with @ a 3" bite width . Then we kept getting ripped off until one of Andrews Heavers went off ! As he was fighting that the other went off so I picked it up and the fight was on ! We were hooked into a couple of big Rays ! Andrews pulled off but after a long trip back and forth we finally landed my Ray ! Then we hit a dry spell for a while . As the tide was coming in we started seeing Spanish jumping but could not hook up . Managed a few more Blues on the bait rigs .

Andrews Parents came out to join us and we managed to get his Mom bowed up on a Blue but it shook free in the wash ! A little while later my rod starts to twitch so I call her over as I pick it up to set the hook and it starts peeling off line and runnin down the beach ! She decides to sit this one out as Another big ray takes off and tries to take all the lines with it ! Andrew gets in and manages to cut them free and we land another big Cownose ! These guys are a blast on the beach ! Did not realize how thick they were but they run you back and forth in the waves ! We came home tired today !

DSCN0149.JPG.011baba5f81cf5f45f64fe7afdc

DSCN0154.JPG.af9583c9fddb7686a257e0a56ef

DSCN0155.JPG.17b323ab75d0ed1434bc60b8932

DSCN0157.JPG.4b11095514d27c7d592ddac1631

DSCN0165.JPG.beba779f76972aca0c01f8b979c

DSCN0178.JPG.be29368cd2e28b07ee46c6e0868

DSCN0187.JPG.a7046f0b9ce8e37973e06907417

DSCN0192.JPG.031f32c78e32adf1b71141eee82

DSCN0193.JPG.c95a5ad3793cb8165ad356564d8

DSCN0195.JPG.ce453619a524619045934258076

DSCN0191.JPG.579b95e3818f97c5793777f4987

good job on those rays ! Did you eat them ? Got to get up with you in the fall , never fished in the refuge before heard the drum fishing is hot down there AWAY from the crazyness on the pier

We did not eat the Rays . I was talking with Chase from Muzzy Bowfishing and he is getting me some recipes that he says are real good. These both had a lot of meat on them ! I showed him the pictures and he said the first one was a pregnant female and the second was a male . If you eat them he recommends soaking the meat in salt water over night to pull the ammonia out of it,then it eats good .

They were a nice fight on 15 pound line ! Took me way down the beach and thanks to Andrew we were able to get them up on the sand for pictures and then a clean release .

Noooooo, you don't eat Cow-Nose Rays, look in the Fish ID section to see why not.

Steve , come on now , that's like saying don't eat chicken you might get salmonella . You can get sick from most foods if not cooked properly . I googled Shigella and in everything I read there was nothing mentioning Cownose Ray in any of it . I am not saying they don't carry it , I don't know , but It looks more spread by unsanitary conditions when food handling like salmonella than anything else .

I was told to lay the Ray down and cut down on the wing following the body contour. Then fillet along the cartilage out toward the wing tip. Then skin the fillet and cut in cubes . Soak it in salted water overnight . then season and fry the cubes like catfish . I would place the cubes in a Zip -Loc bag and season with Old Bay, Garlic , Cajun or Chipoltle Seasoning , put back in the fridge an hour to let the seasoning set . Then coat with House Autry and fry'em up ! Dip in a little Ranch and have a beer ! :icon_pidu: ( I think the guy on the right may have Shigella !)

I would be interested in hearing more about it, like from ppl that have actually eaten the cow-nose. I hate getting sick....

Other Rays and Skate are very edible though, maybe he means those???

Ive eaten them before....tough!

Probably not the most exp cook at the time 20 years ago!

bake anything in enough butter and it will taste good

bake anything in enough butter and it will taste good

or Bacon!:glasses2: