6 posts in this topic

Title says it all. My name is Dale, turning 30 this year and am in the Navy. Just moved to Virginia in December and will be here for a couple of years.

I've done plenty of Bass fishing and Cat fishing on the lakes/rivers of Nebraska...However, coming from my last duty section in Georgia I had the opportunity to watch these mass of people doing this odd "Pier fishing" It caught my interest so I meandered over to see what was going on....at the precise moment I walked over I watched a 12yr old kid hook into a 6' Tiger shark and my jaw hit the ground. I was mesmerized and knew instantly it was something I had to get into.

Well today I headed over to my local BPS and met Matt who helped me get set up with my new Penn Senator 113H/Powerstick and the tackle to go with. Thanks to Matt's patience and guidance I will hopefully be catching those lovely Blacktips, Hammerheads, and Tigers! I can hardly wait.

Any tips for my maiden voyage to catch these monsters would be greatly appreciated...i.e. Good guides to read up on, or just good ol' tribal knowledge. I will be focusing on surf and pier fishing. Anyways, it's great to be here and thank you "Bulldog" aka Matt for all the help in getting me started.

Cheers,

Badgoat (Dale)

Greetings Dale!

Welcome to the forum.

So, you got bit by the salt bug, eh?

Good for you!

It's amazing what kind of critters the salt waters hide from view, ya never know what ya have until near the end of the fight.

You will want to make sure you use Circle hooks, these critters get gut hooked easily and the circle prevents that.

As for tribal lore, there really isn't anything special you need to do.

Just the heavier gear and a large bait.

Stay away from areas where ppl are swimming, Mr. Toothy can run up and down the beach and get ppl caught up in the line. Not to mention the fear factor a lot of people have. I have had a group congregate around a Chark I just landed on the beach and actually ask me if there are Sharks out there. (Here's your sign). DUH?

Know where you are allowed to go sharkin, example, Myrtle Beach does not allow it from the beach.

How do you plan to get the terminal tackle on the end of that 113 out there?

Do you plan to yak it out, swim, or surf it?

Evening and night is the best time to do it. Sharks are more activly feeding at night. Get yourself some 10" channel locks for hook removal, stay as far away as you can from the business end.

Hold the critter down at the head and near the tail. The tail can slap pretty hard, leaving scratches. By all means, let kids look at it from a distance as you tell them about the species you caught. Let them gently feel the skin (away from the head), both directions. Be aware that it can twist it's head around to almost bite it's own tail.

Get familiar with what you can and cannot keep, 98% of us practice catch, pictures, safe release. A smaller one can be carried out with two hands and released. Larger ones sometimes take two people.

Just be safe, put in the time and enjoy the quiet nights on the beach!

Thanks for all the info. I plan on wading out prolly up to my waist or slightly deeper and givin' it the ol' heave/ho and atm I have 8oz pyramid weights with sinker slides, 25lb test with 80lb shocker, and 100lb leader, and I have the Gamakatsu Circles 8/0.

So not entirely sure how far I am gonna get out there with that setup. However I don't have access to a yak...maybe a christmas present if I ask real nicely. Hehe, after ya been married 10yrs and got 2 kids, you just pray for no socks!

So in the mean time, that's what I have to work with. Matt said I prolly won't be getting out to the deeper running big ones...However I should have some good luck with the 3-6 footers, which for starting out will make me more than happy.

Thanks again for the tips,

Dale

Get lots of practice with the 113 before you hit the beach. Just free-spooling and tossing it can end up with a huge birds nest. You may want to consider putting magnets in the spool to slow it down. Someone here posted pics, maybe they will post the link.

Yeah, completely agree. I normally fish with a baitcaster for my everyday bass fishing and am all too familiar with those pesky birdsnests, lol.

We have a park not too far away and will prolly do some practice.