6 posts in this topic

Howdy to all ... newbie on the site. I live in Southern California and will spending a few weeks in the OBX fishing this summer (haven't done that in 25 years!).

Couple of quick questions .... I have an older Penn 8500SS that needs a rod and I have narrowed it down to the TICA TC3 Dolphin 11-0 (seems to be the nicest rod for the dollar) - comments and/or suggestions.

Also, I have an Okuma EB65 that needs a rod. I used to use the reel with a 7-0 Penn Power Stick when I kayak fished but have not used it in the surf. My guess is that I will be using 15# test ... does a 9-0 or a 10-0 rod make better sense for this reel? I think I would want to be able to throw plugs etc with this set up ... or should I just set it up for bait and just get a different rig for throwing plugs?

Any comments or thoughts greatly appreciated.

Penn on the Tica will be just fine, but I would go to 12' Tica if you can handle it.

With the okuma you can go with either...up to you whatever the reel feels better on.

I concur.

I have two tall ones, Tica 12' both with Penn 850s.

They are fine for the surf.

The only thing I don't like about the Tica is the butt section is 5' and the top is 7'.

Wish they were both 6'.

Thanks for the advice ... I settled on the TICA 12'. I just got both rods today and I like how they feel ... I will find out how they fish in a month.

Cheers

matt

:eusa_dance: