Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest mdram

if you have a ford

8 posts in this topic

I've heard about this too.

Me thinks it was limited to the V10, wasn't it?

Randy, are you able to find other common probs too?

yep, I see this alot and even more because Im into racing the Modular 4.6 & 5.4 engines and work on and wth many Ford Racing and Performance related web sites.

it's been a problem for awhile, I could go into details but it would prob take a whole day and if someone is not up on automotive engines, it prob won't make much sense.

the heads which are aluminum, were designed wth 1/2 threads in the sparkplug bungs (to quicken production time at the engine plants) so only about 4 threads hold the sparkplugs in place (un-like my 4.6 Ford Racing heads which are a "full thread" design). now due to "detonation" from poor quality gas or poorly mantained vehicles, or improperly tuned vehicles over a period of time the detonation issues starts "hammering" on the plug, which loosens it up and pushes against the aluminum threads in the head causing the plug to blow-out of the heads and taking the threads wth it. there are several fixes for this, 1 is replacing the head wth a newer design "full thread" head and a simplier fix is to use a product called a "time-sert" which is like a steel heli-coil(or threaded insert) that is inserted into the dammaged sparkplug hole.

as stated in the news article above the guy wth the Lightning, well thats a performance vehicle and people who have them along wth Mustang Gt's and Cobra's will have this problem due to the fact that they modify there vehicles wth differen size blower pulleys(Lightnings and Cobras have supercharges) which over drive the supercharger and then use cheap gas along wth computor enhanced mods which leads them to detonation and then the plug problem. we do not see this in everyday "normal" use of these engins in cars and trucks.

speaking of fords,,,my wife purchased a 2006 conv mustang,,,a problem that some have including hers is if you drive with more than 2 people or put items in the trunk, there is just enough weight where a cable hits the diveshaft and makes a grinding sound,,,she called the dealer and they were clueless and said they never heard of the problem,,,before she took it to the dealer she researched it online because the dealer was clueless and she figured out the problem from a mustang forum,,,we couldnt figure out why it would stop when she drove it to work (by herself),,,so we never took it in until it dawned on me that there must be just enough weight to create rubbing on something,,,she researched it and found the problem before we ever got to the dealer and told them the problem,,,my wife, the technician.

thanks for the reply, i can see where it may not affect the everyday driver. but i cant beleive they did this on the performance engines too. oh well, guess they had thier reasons

There have been V10's with less than 5000 miles on them that have tossed a plug, so it's not a maintenance issue.

Octane ratings are checked so I'm not going with the poor quality gas either. Plus, this has happened to vehicles driven cross country so they aren't getting multiple tanks of "bad" gas from one dealer.

Ford simply messed up with the quarted thread or whatever. Just like they messed up on the early 6.0 diesel.

Perhaps the people this DIDN'T happen to are the ones that don't put the throttle to the floor on occasion.

I agree to some extent that FoMoCo has to take some of blame but wth ALL the "hand-held" performance programmers today, who is to say some of these people are not messing wth the settings, either spark advance or changing the fuel curve or both to get more HP & TQ out of there truck. I see this everyday on the performance web sites, anyone can buy these programmers for @$300.00 and alot don't have a clue what there doing as far as tuning. Im not defending Ford but there is always 2 sides to every story.

Good answer Randy,Ford will be pleased.I love my F150 PU

Good answer Randy,Ford will be pleased.I love my F150 PU

:lol: yeah, how's that for suckin' up :!:

you just never know when and where Big Brother is watchin' & readin' :D