9 posts in this topic

Headed down to back Bay Refuge around noon today to try and fish the Surf but the wind was out of the north and coming straight down the beach ! It was like fishing in a sandstorm ! You know I had to try ! Stayed about 1/2 an hour and packed up and took off . Got home and did not feel like sittin round the house and Andrew said he wanted to go pond hoppin down in Pungo to see if we could find some Catfish . We took off and hit a couple places and then stopped by the edge of a small bridge and while we were fishing a big Gar came up and checked out his bobber that had a shrimp on it but did not take it .

I went and grabbed some bigger floats from the truck and put a big hunk of Mullet on it and fished the other side of the bridge where the current was moving away from the bridge . In no time at all I got a solid hit and reeled in a 28" , 8lb , Catfish on a light set up ! Then we missed a couple and then Andrew caught a good size Gar .

DSCN0134.JPG.98290b2300d0ba24da9d5c64404

DSCN0135.JPG.aa3eebfad020d89a462bc25427d

DSCN0142.JPG.42e9a0c883600b926434893a21b

definently a good save of the day! and i have battle wounds to show. i didn't know that gar have real sharp gills and sliced my hand open right after we took the picture.

best of all, both cat fish were alive and kicking after spending 30+ minutes in a bucket with NO water on the way home!

I need to start being like you guys and just go fish instead of getting all wrapped up in weather forecasts!

Nice work boys!:blob1:

Nice cats, Matt. Good to see you get some time off work to get out and fish.

Andrew, what did the Gar bite? I've never seen them that big in person. Very cool.

we were using chunked mullet and they seem to like it. once the water stopped moving the gar were rolling up all over the place. i had one come up and look at my bobber, one that was bigger then the one i caught. this is the second one ive ever caught, the first one came off a live menhaden in the elizabeth river years ago....

Thanks for the info. I remember seeing smaller gars in the bay at night when I was a kid, but never that big.

Did we meet at Bass Pro this winter?

Steve , We watch the weather and wind and forecasts too but just change location or techniques and target different species . We don't get enough time off to pass on a days fishing ! If we are off we go . If we have a couple hours to kill we go . Can't always plan around the tides or temps . Its just better to be fishing even if the fish don't cooperate ! Then if the weather is really bad ........I fish the tank !! :lol:

Did we meet at Bass Pro this winter?

Yes we did.