28 posts in this topic

:D It's the middle of May and it looks like we are in the peak of the striper migration with reports of some very nice stripers being taken from the surf,,,some sand tigers and snapper blues were also caught, as well as some early season suspects, like kingfish.

Get your feet in the sand, go fish and have fun :D .

I hit the beach with dad this morning at 5:00. We fished a great spot for seven hours and dad caught one small 24". I had one on and she was pulling out line! I saw her break the water about 50 yards out and the next thing I saw was my line flying back at me.. :censored: I'm not exactly sure what happened, but I think the line had a weak point and that's all she wrote. :cry:

I can't wait for sharkin season.... Sooooon.... :v:

suxx's, also sorry to hear Sam :shock: time for some new line :wink:

pray for me guys, Im takin' 2 "boots" from work out on the boat fishing wth me on saturday, can't imagine what Im in-for :oops::?::!::roll:

Sam, water still looked good?,,,sorry about the snap, I know how you feel,,,stinks!,,,going to head out on thursday for a short mid morning early afternoon session, 5 or 6 hours,,,I got some daylight in am to find a locale.

fished only a few hours from the beach,,,nothing but skate,,,strong south starting to blow and the water was getting stained pretty good before I left,,,saw ocsnapper, Dave, heading back,,,nothing for him but he was only out there a short time as well,,,I just couldnt get motivated today and may wait till monday to head back out.

Coop that sounds up my day too. always next time.

spent the 11th till the 18 not a bad week of fishing.. firday caught my first rock of the day 41 inch caught my second on following tue.. a 42 and half fat boy:)

second_rock_of_the_week_211.jpg.fd2e7895

fridays_catch_169.jpg.f979ca8721434de081

NICE CATCH!!!! i havnt seen you on here befor soo WELCOME ABOURD!!!!! hopefully i can have a chance this spring/early summer for a nice striper on the surf gear!

Hey Jessie good job. decided to hold back this weekend with all those westerlies. So far it looks like the same into next week but I really want to make it down there Thurs even if it stays west till then. BTW that fish I got last Sunday did have roe Hope John got some also..

Nice fish!

Went out this morning around 5am and it was pretty darn chilly and breezy,,,managed 2 stripers,,,37" and a 39" early to mid morning,,,let the 39 go and only kept the 37 for my pop,,,I promised him a fish, otherwise it would have gone back as well,,,I am done keeping stripers and may give striper fishing a rest,,,yaked out baits once for the first time this year at noon when it warmed up,,,no takers,,,cow nose rays are in pretty thick and drove me nuts,,,ended up hooking a few and thought the first one was a huge striper,,,saw the wing and felt the dull fight, bummer :( ,,,lots of little doggies and skates,,,all in all, a nice day on the beach.

may2206_306.jpg.6382e75654adb67a55216020

NICE FISH!!! glad you had some luck...besides the wind and temp you described looks like a beutifull day out on the sand! wish i could have been there!

Good job, Scott. Nice fish and congrats on the release. :-)

was out from 11 till about 3pm while the kids enjoyed the beach and a nap :) 2 dogfish, 2 skates, and a larger (4+ ft) shark that wasn't a dog fish - after googling it, it appears to have been a sandbar shark (wish I had the camera - but the wife had it with the kids :censored: ) When it hit, I thought i had finally gotten my striper :shock:

It was actually pretty exciting - I had just thrown my bait out and was walking my rod up to my spike - the drag was going out as normal as I was walking..."zzzzzzzzzz" just as I put the rod in the spike, the "ZZZZZZZZZZZZZ" got louder - I never even got to spike the rod and this thing took off. Put up quite a fight and I was hoping and praying I had my first striper ...Pulled pretty hard just the same - and much larger than the other dogfish I've caught. For you shark experts - here's what was different (other than size) - maybe you can help confirm - Much "fatter" - had a considerable "hump" towards the dorsal fin - a bump out in the tail, and visible sharp teeth (but not HUGE teeth - just visible teeth).

So maybe it was a dog fish and the teeth get visible as the fish get older???

So anyway - end result sharks/dogfish 3, skates 2, stripers 0 :( But a beautiful day on the beach just the same. :mrgreen:

That sounds like a small sandbar shark. :-) Good job!

Sounds like a Sandtiger. I got one about 4.5 ft Sunday and they like these cooler water temps. Larger sandbars like it 70+ but the little ones are around now. Sandtigers distinct in that both dorsal fins are same size,they are very fat-beefy, teeth are snaggle teeth like a Mako and they have a mottled spots on their sides.

did you have a hard time getting your yak out in the surf?? i took my yak with me but never unloaded it a bit windy and people were just too close....

Took a few hours after dinner and hit the beach. The water was as flat as a pancake and I was thinking their might be a shark or two lurking. I fitted up with wire leaders and went through the bait fast. Lots of smooth doggies and a few skate. It was nice to get out for a bit. :-)

Hey Zak,

the wind was blowing pretty good yesterday but out of the NW, which beats down the surf pretty quick,,,it was pretty flat.

GOOD job COOP now I see why they call you the striper king .:icon_thumleft: