8 posts in this topic

Sam, I noticed you are using a gaff in many of your pics. I just put on my gloves get into the water and grab the leader. Not to sound like an idiot, but, how do you use the gaff?

Scott, a gaff is generally used from a boat to hook a fish and bring it up. I bought one last year and only use it to hook the swivel connected to the leader and drag the shark/ray up the beach out of the breakers. I don't puncture the fish in any way.

Scott, a gaff is generally used from a boat to hook a fish and bring it up. I bought one last year and only use it to hook the swivel connected to the leader and drag the shark/ray up the beach out of the breakers. I don't puncture the fish in any way.

ahhh, I wondered about that myself. good idea Sam:D

yeah, I know this was an oldie:lol:

hey Ben, you need to get a gaff:tongue:

Wow, that was an old one. I didn't even remember posting that. :lol:

HAahaha, Randy, that is a great idea. No more running into the water with an enormous shark and grabbing it by its tail, only to watch its head come around and almost nail me in the leg with some SHARP pointers. A gaf is sounding like more of a smart, civilized approach! :D

Just don't let Oli use your gaff. Ask him about the one that got away and I'm not talking about a fish! :lol:

HAahaha, Randy, that is a great idea. No more running into the water with an enormous shark and grabbing it by its tail, only to watch its head come around and almost nail me in the leg with some SHARP pointers. A gaf is sounding like more of a smart, civilized approach! :D

thank Sam, it was his idea:) I just happened to think about 1 day fishing on AI wth Sam, as he was unloading his gear and he got out a gaff and since we were catching Blues I thought it was for a bigg'un:D

Just don't let Oli use your gaff. Ask him about the one that got away and I'm not talking about a fish! :lol:

I can't be held totally resposnible for that one... we had a 178lb Mako tail roped and gaffed, I had the gaff, Capt Al put the 12 gague to the sharks head right over where the gaff was and shot the gaff right out of my hands.:eusa_doh: as I watched it spiral down into the deep I had a brief(very brief) thought of 'I could dive down and get that' then I remembered we were shark fishing and there was alot of blood in the water, we had them all around us. Hooked up with 8 that day. That guy can catch some sharks.