56 posts in this topic

The fishing has slowed up as we head into the summer season. Bigger sharks have yet to arrive.

Feel free to post your reports here...fish or no fish.

We went out to the pier last night and caught a very thick sand bar and had in big run that almost spooled me and it broke off when he got close in. Also hooked about a 5.5-6ft butterfly ray on my 7 ft rod and fought him in till my line snapped and my rod met my face.

fought him in till my line snapped and my rod met my face.

sorry, I had to LOL at that one. reminds me of one of the first you tube videos posted here on the site of a compilation of funny fishing clips. the last one was a guy who got spooled and when the line broke it hit him in the face and he fell down.

LOL I have seen this video also but mine wasn't that bad because I didn't have extreme tension on my line so I understand u laughing because I would too if it happened to another person.

I laugh everytime I see that video, thanks for posting it Matt.

went fishing on 11th st. (sat) Caught 2 skates and a seagull ,5am nice morning just bait steelers......what are those 2 things that hang of the back side of scates? Does that mean its a boy skate?

what are those 2 things that hang of the back side of scates? Does that mean its a boy skate?

They are called "Claspers" and they are the male reproductive organs.

Bigger sharks have made it in. Lost about an 8-9 foot sand tiger in the wash because my buddy wouldnt wake up before the fish drug me half a mile down the beach. Note to self.. dont go in alone with a shark that big trying to land it alone.. I got drug in up to my neck in the water because I had the drag locked down. That could of ended up worse than a broken line.

On the bright side did land several nice sharks. Pictured below is about a 50lb sand bar, a 150lb sand bar, and about a 120lb sand tiger. Also caught a 21' rock fish and lost a legal fish in the wash.

3.jpg.bb1ba02523756f4ed29caabe8957f701.j

6.jpg.61f4dc5fe951d9473301246676172761.j

4.jpg.a95b977cf1991f45d1367464af924408.j

7.jpg.f45e5b00127581b4a35c5abd0c4c8c5c.j

8.jpg.6dab4c804a9434f416b317ee0ae64b47.j

Yak bait or tossing?

Right behind the break?

Bunker?

surf was to rough for the yak so we were tossing cut bunker and croaker. A few fish around 400 ft but most about 100-200ft. We were about a half mile south of bull pin.

i am so there tomorrow eve! this is the best news I have heard in a while.

Greeaat catch!!!...Sweeet Sandbar....go fish!

Nice Duskies. They are not Sandbars. Only took me 30 years to figure it out.

I was 95% sure that the second one up from the bottom was dusky, but I was 50/50 on the last pic.

I can't tell....darn things look very similar. I have kept a shark or two, thinking they were sandbars...now Iam not sure...can you keep a sandbar?...I know duskies are on the protected list. Didn't see brown/sandbar on the list at the dnr's site.

I can't tell....darn things look very similar. I have kept a shark or two, thinking they were sandbars...now Iam not sure...can you keep a sandbar?...I know duskies are on the protected list. Didn't see brown/sandbar on the list at the dnr's site.

They just added sandbars to the protected list this year.

Well unless my plans change I will be down this weekend for some sharkin'

One noticeable difference is the sandbar has more of a "hump" in it's back and compared to the dusky, a larger dorsal fin.

You can always bring a magnifying glass out on the beach to look at the denticles. Duskies overlap like shingles on a roof. Sandbars are separted like a cobblestones on a road.

went out monday caught a massive butterfly ray, decided to cut the line after being able to tell what it was, the surf was just to rough to try and land such a big beast. estimate 5.5 to 6 feet wide and weighing more than 150 pounds, took 1.5 hours to get him in close. tue same location rod bent and reel screamed at around 10pm, got in in the wash then snap, lost a 6 foot sandtiger,shock leader snapped. going back today to get some more.

Tried to stay away form the monsters today. We were stinging the kings for sure. Great day fishing between raindrops.