7 posts in this topic

Randy made me think of this over in the Sabiki Rig thread.

Cast nets....

If we have'em and know how to use them, we love 'em.

If we don't have them, we wonder what's up with them.

Then there's the other folks, they have them and use them improperly.

Improperly? Whadda' ya mean????

Well, I mean, if you are using your teeth instead of holding the third stretch in your hand, you're using it improperly.

You should never, ever hold any length of the cast net in your teeth.

I don't care that some of the old timers do it and toss well.

Have you seen their teeth? YEOUCH!!!

Starting off, for right-handed tossers:

Hold the rig up in your left hand by the center ring allowing the perimeter weights to hang straight down.

You should hold this ring in the web of your left hand, don't grasp it with thumb or index finger.

Reach down with your right hand and grab a couple-few perimeter weights along the side away from you.

Now put these weights under your oputside three fingers in your left hand.

Now take a couple-few weights again, from the right side of the rig.

Keep these in your right hand.

Here's what you should end up with:

The running line should flow out of the center ring and over the top of your left hand with the line on the deck, end loop cinched around your left wrist.

You'll have the center ring in the web of your left hand and some weights crimped under your outside three fingers. Weights in your right hand.

Point your left foot where you want the rig to end up.

Right foot will be a 45 degree to the right and one step to the rear.

Twist at the waist and bring your right hand down and beside you, left hand leading the toss pointed where you want it to go.

Twisting forward and at the same time bringing your right hand forward * AND * up.

Release the weights in the right hand when they reach their apex of the swing toward where you want it to end up.

Allow the momentum from those weights to geltly pull the weights out of your left hand.

As soon as it starts spinning and heading out, release the center ring by dropping your wrist slightly to allow it to simply slide off.

Just like bowling or tossing a ball, follow through and keep your left hand at a 30 degree angle up and toward the toss allowing the rope to pay out.

Don't think about nailing bait in deep water when they themselves are deep, they'll be long-gone by the time the weights and net reach them. You want to give the net a little time to sink down about two feet or so then do a quick snatch to bring the bottom of the net together and haul it in.

Be extremely careful when doing this on wet or slippery surfaces, trust me on this.....

Keep practicing, it will take a bit but you WILL get it right. After that, it's pretty easy and you'll hit dead-on target every time. Don't forget to lead the bait as they swim!!

thanks for the write-up Steve :up:

I will try this next time and yes, I am one of those who used my teeth :oops:

I have got to get me one of those.

if you do, I recommend starting-out wth a small cast-net, maybe a 5' or 6'er as the smaller ones are easier to throw

That's exactly what I was going to say, 5-6 ft.

I bought the fiver many years ago and still have it as my only one.

I use my teeth too. Never tried the other way, but i'll give it shot. I started with a 7 footer, and am going to ask for a 10 or 12 footer for christmas, sure it's more weight, but I think I'd rather throw a 10 footer once than a seven footer 4 or five times. They all get heavy after a couple tosses.

I have a bum shoulder and lots of years on ya but I can throw a 5-6 footer all day.

A large net is ok if you have lots of room around you.

On a boat it's fine but not on the beach, you can keep the net out of the water.

I can keep all the net (5-6') out of the water before the toss. That's a key thing if you need distance, you don't want to have to drag it out of the water on the swing.

If you get in tight quarters a big net will get difficult.

I can fully open a smaller net and drop it a foot in front of me, I can't with a big one.

I can also get a small net between the pilings or structure.

If you can toss a big net where you need to that's all good, except........

Stop using your teeth!!!!!!!!

Lead isn't the best thing to be chewing on either....