26 posts in this topic

Hit the back bay for some flounder for an hour or so...ended up with 2 short. A little breezy, choppy, and cool but not bad.

Hmmm... This sounds interesting... How do you catch flounder with a 1569? :confused:

Hmmm... This sounds interesting... How do you catch flounder with a 1569? :confused:

Yaked it...Sam, interested in some yak tuna fishing? After reading Matts post, got me pumped up and thinking...and yak togging in the winter in the inlet.

anyone up for a kayak midnight tuna chunking trip in the canyon?

I'm up for anything. You all know me better than that...

anyone up for a kayak midnight tuna chunking trip in the canyon?

Man I gotta get a yak.:)

I have four now, just gotta' get out there! :D

so sam and coop. how do you like the kayak fishing so far?

Matt, you have been a great help and inspiration...if it wasn't your posts and and all the info you posted, I'd probably never consider this type of fishing. It's a blast. Only been once and already hooked. I had the whole back bay to myself the other day...it was very cool.

The things you can do with this thing are endless:

Thinking about making some overnight fishing trips and crash at one of the islands in our back bays...just concerned about skeeters. May go when the wind would be right. I have enough cargo area to do an overnighter or maybe even 2 nights. Not sure camping on one of the islands is even allowed...gonna check it out.

Inlet fishing for tog when winter comes. Talked my dad yesterday about taking us out for some offshore runs...he says no problem...would be cool to get a tuna or a dolphin. Do some back creek fishing...did here there are some nice puppies around those areas (not yet).

In the back bay, we could catch as much fish as someone in a motorized boat. The prospects of that are very cool.

Getting some rigging for the boat. Need to get a fish finder too.

As soon as this wind dies down, gonna hunt for some larger fish.

Matt, you have been a great help and inspiration...if it wasn't your posts and and all the info you posted, I'd probably never consider this type of fishing. It's a blast. Only been once and already hooked. I had the whole back bay to myself the other day...it was very cool.

The things you can do with this thing are endless:

Thinking about making some overnight fishing trips and crash at one of the islands in our back bays...just concerned about skeeters. May go when the wind would be right. I have enough cargo area to do an overnighter or maybe even 2 nights. Not sure camping on one of the islands is even allowed...gonna check it out.

Inlet fishing for tog when winter comes. Talked my dad yesterday about taking us out for some offshore runs...he says no problem...would be cool to get a tuna or a dolphin. Do some back creek fishing...did here there are some nice puppies around those areas (not yet).

In the back bay, we could catch as much fish as someone in a motorized boat. The prospects of that are very cool.

Getting some rigging for the boat. Need to get a fish finder too.

As soon as this wind dies down, gonna hunt for some larger fish.

its really nice to see people get excited about it and jacked up like I do. its different and it requires some adapting but man is it a blast. sometimes youll get a little 5 pound fish pull you around for a sleigh ride.

It's only a matter of time... Kayak fishing has so much potential in so many ways.

Fished out back yesterday via a yak with 2 rods until dark...crab on 1 and flounder rig (swimming mullet) on the other...had a screamer on crab...was hoping for a black...turned out to be a big doggie. Lots of flounder...all short. Nice afternoon/evening...It was so calm and relaxing out thier, I actually fell a sleep...the screamer woke me up and I almost fell out of the yak...probably not a good idea dozing off in a yak around the bridge. First calm night...gonna do some night yak fishing.

Ive wanted a Yak soo bad for a couple years now....just not in the budget yet. listening to you guys..its everything I imagined it could be!

for night fishing, is there a way to mount a running light or somethin' to protect you from other boats?? I think i saw somewhere they sell a plug in running light...

AFAIK, it is considered a vessel by the CG and must be lighted as per law.

That's why I went ahead and installed lights.

Haven't done the stern yet, but I have a white strobe I put on the back of my PFD.

That launch location sounds easier than from the OSV back bay access.

Boaters World, West Marine etc sell navigation lights that run on batteries and can be fixed to a boat deck with strong suction cups that are part of the light.

I used them on a 16' runabout for a couple years, they worked great...no problems.

I think that they were about 20 bucks or less.They were much more dependable and trouble proof than the origional lights on the boat.

Probably one white "all around" 360 degree light on the stern of a yak would serve as both a running light and an anchor light...that might be all that you would need.....I would also a want a red and green directional light for the bow myself..check Coast Guard regs,,,

Hey...the potential for yak fishin has me wishin that I wasn't such an old geezer.

Matt's sense of adventure is awesome.Kayak fishing in the Gulfstream....whoa!

Sam yakking a bait out past the second bar at <ACRONYM title="Assateague Island">AI</ACRONYM> is something to see...

Hey Erik, some of our yakers have already lost their gray hair...

It's great exercise.

Hint-hint....

I have thought about those suction lights, but the finish on the yak is rough, dunn'o if it would stick. I have the red/green hard-wired. I'll just mount another one that has a white lens.

Today from the yak...1 flounder...shy of 18"

how long were you out? I gave it a try today for a couple hours. still kinda slow but the good news is the pesty croakers seem to have thinned out a good bit. I did catch a couple flounder and a 19 " puppy that was tagged. what kind of baits and rigs are you using?

Was out for about 2 hours this afternnon...very slow today...last 2 times out, plenty of flounder but either way, everything is short. Been using store bought flounder rigs (non tangled variety with plastic sleeve) with chartruse bucktail with a chartruse swimming mullet. Darn crabs love that swimming mullet soaking in that juice.

I had one rod with peeler today and just moved around the bridge, but nothing. The peeler rig has 2 hooks...kinda like a high low rig.

Flounder was caught right under the bridge.

Gonna yak out baits for shark tomorrow early afternoon and then hit the back bay again tomorrow night. Would be nice to get a slammer shark and then in the evening, a good size flounder or something else...maybe a drum.

What are using for the puppies?

I havent seen many finger mullet around so I have not been using live bait. plenty of bigger 8"+ mullet though. I have been using gulps on diffrerent rigs. usually, ill use a tandem jig rig with different jig heads on 20 lb. fouro. the jig weighs vary with what water I am fishing and the conditions. sometimes its a 1/4 and a 1/16, other times 1/4 and 1/8, and I have even had some success with double 1/8. I use those for when I am staked out or wading. when I am sightfishing I like to use a single 1/4-1/16 on 20 lb. flouro. I use diffrerent flavor gulps. I use the new penny shrimp, and diffrerent colors of 4" swimming mullets. the one I have the most confidence in is the rootbeer gold, then maybe chartruse or pearl white. the tail on the mullets are sometimes gone in a matter of casts but the baits are still effective.

Just south of that bridge seems to be the sweet spot for me...

Hey Erik, long time no see. :)

Just south of that bridge seems to be the sweet spot for me...

Hey Erik, long time no see. :)

Yeah...I,ve been out some, but not as much as Striper fishin season.

I'm sure I'll see you soon, I am getting ready to put the hammer down on some big sharks..

All this yak talk has me thinking about expanding my horizions...are you guys fishin in sit on tops in the bay?

Erik, I think most use sit on rather then in....but some do use sit in. Maybe a stability issue and/or a comfort issue. Some may not be to comfortable in a sit in with the prospects of capsizing. If you have a sit on, if the boat tips, just swim to it.

There are some very good waters to fish via yak down here with a very, very short paddle from a couple local launching areas...some, you may already know of...I have only tried one area but gonna hit the inlet area sometime this week...very short paddle to that area.

Erik, I think most use sit on rather then in....but some do use sit in. Maybe a stability issue and/or a comfort issue. Some may not be to comfortable in a sit in with the prospects of capsizing. If you have a sit on, if the boat tips, just swim to it.

There are some very good waters to fish via yak down here with a very, very short paddle from a couple local launching areas...some, you may already know of...I have only tried one area but gonna hit the inlet area sometime this week...very short paddle to that area.

when I get more comfortable on my yak, i am going to have to hook up with you or Sam on one of these "short" paddle excursions.