1 post in this topic

Ron Walker has caught a lot of tarpon, but never one that was at least 100 pounds or better. There have been plenty of fish that fit that category and that was our goal this evening. The first action we had was from a permit that we released. Next it was a tarpon of 40 pounds. By this time it was well into the dusk period and the action continued with a double hook up. We landed the 70 pound fish and the other one threw the hook on its second jump. The next fish was the one we were looking for. It made a run straight for the jetties and in the process, dumped about 90% of the line off the reel. We had a little over half the line back when the fish ran parallel with the jetties as it made a dash to get around the corner and into the deep water of the main channel. Everything was going fine except for one thing. There was a boat anchored up next to the jetties at the tip. Yes sir, you guessed it, the tarpon went around the anchor rope and cut us off. After two more drifts with no further action, we moved to the north side. On the first drift, we caught another 70 pound fish. The next drift had us hooked up again with the right size tarpon. This one was well educated also and made a fast and furious dash for a swim buoy. It found the rope holding the buoy in place and once again we got cut off. That's the way the evening ended. Final total was 1 permit and 2 for 5 on tarpon.

Brad Coren had a dolphin dinner in mind as we headed offshore after catching plenty of bait. We found a nice line of grass in blue water and put out two baits. The action was almost instant, however, the fish knew how to throw the hook. As quick as we found the blue water, it turned green so off we went going further offshore. At about 7 miles out, we found the blue water again and then all signs of good fishing conditions became very hard to come by. At 19 miles we found one lone fish swimming in some scattered grass. It was a start and we had the skunk out of the boat. We stopped in several likely looking spots on our way back in with no results. Finally at 13.5 miles out, we found another single fish swimming at the surface and pushing a wake. Then another single and then a 16.5 pound bull. Fresh dolphin fillets for dinner was looking much better. Once again we saw another single fish pushing a wake to add to the fish box. The morning ended all to quickly, however, Brad was all smiles as I cleaned the fish back at TNT Marine Center and he filled numerous zip lock bags with fish.

Frank and Tammy Marino were in Miami for a business and vacation trip. For the pleasure part of the trip, they had an evening tarpon trip in mind. We didn't have to wait long for our first action as a nice 90 pounder found our crab on the first drift. Tammy was up first and she did a marvelous job of fighting the fish after we overcame a problem with a backlashed reel. The fish made its way straight to the deep water of the main channel. The fight went back and forth for a long time, before Tammy started to get the upper hand. Frank had both the video and digital cameras going as Tammy put the finishing touches on the tired tarpon. It was then Frank's turn. He didn't have to wait very long either and he was fighting a 100 pound tarpon. By now the tide had changed and was coming in. His fish also made it to the main channel and started working its way inland. After a long drawn out battle, all the pictures got taken and the fish was released. We made one more drift with no action and both Frank and Tammy said they had enough and we called it an evening going 2 for 2.

Knot Nancy is going in to Whitewater for some new electronics and upgrades on Tuesday, June 16. The work is going to take about a week. She'll be out and ready for fishing action again starting on June 23rd, so don't delay in giving me a call to schedule your trip. The action is still going strong as we get further into our summertime fishing.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now