19 posts in this topic

Will be surf fishing OBX in September, I'am looking for any info on using these synthetic baits. (Gulp or Gulp Alive) Also rigs ,hooks, etc. Thanks.:happy9:

gulp = fish crack

a lot of people like the shrimp but my favorite gulp is the swimming mullet. I use either a single or tandem rig. the weights of the jig heads vary with the conditions I am fishing in. when I use a tandem I usually use 1 really light jig head in the back that has a sslllooowww fall. for instance, sometimes my setup could be a 1/4 - 1/2 in the front and 1/8 - 1/16 in the back

gulp = fish crack

a lot of people like the shrimp but my favorite gulp is the swimming mullet. I use either a single or tandem rig.

AMEN!:icon_rr:

4" Swimming Mullet is DA BOMB! Pearl, Chartreuse, and get one in a dark color (Smoke, Smelt, etc)!!!!!:drunken_smilie:

rootbeer gold is a favorite color of mine. the downside of the swimming mullet gulps is that the tails come off really easy. sometimes one bite from a spot, croaker, or pinfish and you are now using a tailless gulp. the shrimp definately hold up better to the pests. I have gone through a whole tub of the alive in a day and that can get expensive really fast. I have experimented with my tandem rigs with one shrimp and 1 mullet and no matter where they were placed on the rig the mullet outfished the shrimp like 8:1.

What about modeling some of your own?

Modeling clay (and bake) for a master, and quick set for the form.

Spray in some quick release and pour in quick set for your blank.

swimming mullet..... YUM

smells like rotten ****, works like gold. haha

What about modeling some of your own?

Modeling clay (and bake) for a master, and quick set for the form.

Spray in some quick release and pour in quick set for your blank.

Ive thought about making some lures before but I think the gulps might be hard to compete with as far as making on your own. they use a different material. I dont know what it is. they are not like other plastics. they need to be wet otherwise they dry up and get hard as a rock. then your gonna need to get some kind of juice for them to sit in. maybe dixie or someone else can tell us a little more about gulps than I can.

I have used olive oil in the past, just keep 'em sealed up.

You could also use some of the "juice" they sell in the tubes and let 'em marinate in it.

gulp = fish crack

LMAO, I hope-so Matt, as Im gonna' use some 8" Gulp Squids next week in OCMD durring the Marlin Clubs "small-boat" tourney :evil6:

I've used Gulp products inshore many times before wth Fantastic results vs other baits:icon_thumleft:

All I know is I bought a bottle of the crab alive juice and topped off my contianers which were running low on juice...

WHEW that stuff smells like $@$*@ to say the least! Don't know how you can get it in the lure like they do and obviously not many other company's can either cause I don't see too many knockoffs yet that work!

LMAO, I hope-so Matt, as Im gonna' use some 8" Gulp Squids next week in OCMD durring the Marlin Clubs "small-boat" tourney :evil6:

I've used Gulp products inshore many times before wth Fantastic results vs other baits:icon_thumleft:

let us know how it works out. I dont think I have ever heard of any results offshore. inshore they are the bomb. but their blessing that they are like fish crack is also their curse. the little crackheads (croakers and pinfish) just wont leave me alone. they steal my baits as fast as I can put them out sometimes.

Heck with those little mullets, I went for the eels...... Plan on using them in the wash while I wait for something to hit the real bait. Also figure they may be good when I hit the inlets and swim shads aren't doing anything. Heading down this weekend so hopefully I can post a picture of what they caught!

so how do they work from the surf... or have i missed it all haha

im new to the sight and tryin to figer it all out Thanks

Generally, I don't use them from the beach because they are very soft and tear relatively easy. That being said, there is no reason they wouldn't work as good there as on a boat or bridge.

I dont think I have head an reports about the cut bait kind but I know that a lot of guys use the regular gulps down here in the surf, especially in the spring and fall for trout.

I don't see why it wouldn't work, they're the same fish that eat it elsewhere.

I just know any of the Gulp with tails get torn up fairly easy. Maybe the bottom abrasion and debris would chop them up. Give it a try, why not?

As for "cut" type of baits, I haven't used them (yet), but would try 'em out.

Ya never know, it may be the one thing in your bag of tricks that it takes to get a hit.

I use the Small Cut Bait Blood Red color all the time on bottom rigs to catch croaker , Spot and Roundhead for use as cut bait with the same results as the guy next to me using fishbites . Never had any trouble using the mullets in the Surf . Gotta love Gulp !