16 posts in this topic

Hello all,

I have been making my hook leaders on my fish finders as short as possible. Around 2-3". I have seen some that have been using a 8-12" hook leader on their fish finders. I always thought the shorter the better for casting distance but there has to be some reason for the longer leaders. Is it to keep the hook as far away from the sinker as possible? Of course casting distance is always an issue but how much is it effected with the longer leader? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Also, how imprtant is it for the hook leader to be as straight as possible? When i am tying the leader to the swivel with a uni it always sems to get a little kinked.

Thanks for your help!

Everyone swears by the length they use themselves.

I say use whatever works for YOU.

Experiment with different lengths.

The casting distance won't be that much different unless you go from 3" to 3'.

I use a uni also, no kinks. Just keep it tight while tying, put some spittle on it when tightening. Be sure to pull the loops down afterward, then pull the tag end and snip.

So how is the fish finder supposed to be rigged? I bought what I think was a fish finder and the hook was already rigged to it. Well all it did was wash up to the beach every time. Ive seen pics where the weight is attatched to the fish finder. Im assuming the fish finder is the green slide thingy? Which is the proper way to rig this? Thanks Im still learning!!

Start with the hook and tie some strong line (80 - 150lb test) to the hook (I use a snell knot). Then tie or crimp the other end of that line to a barrel swivel. You want this to be anywhere from 2" to 12" long. The shorter the more casting distance, the longer the better hookup ratios with fish.

Once you have that all tied up and ready to go slide that plastic thing over your running line (hopefully a shock leader) and then tie your running line/shock leader to the other side of the barrel swivel (I use a Palomar knot). Then attach the weight to the clip on the fish finder plastic slide.

hears a helpfull tip: you dont have to a "plastic slide" for the fish finder to work i use a snap swivel same grate resalts. i had the plastic lide ware out on me and last my sinker once or twice... i normaly get the off shore snap swivels rated to 100/150 lbs mostley for over come casting forces and ther cheeper normaly like plastic slides i see are 1 for $1.00 snap swivels are more like 3 for $1.50 /$2.00

what everyone has said here is great info! here are pics to help guide you...

drumrig.jpg.4696c625910c9e1555f78b5b75af

5852a59ee897b_fishfinderrig.jpg.8c39e8a2

like they said its personal prefrence....i use a swivel, i dont like using the plastic or metal slides, i have personally had them snap line before when catching big reds on the shoals down here... here is how i set it up:

main line - 20lb

shock leader - 50lb (about 20feet)

on my shock leader i put a swivel and one or two beads below it, i do not use a bead above the swivel

shock leader tied to a 100-150lb barrel swivel

swivel to 4-8 inches of bite leader (6/0 hooks and smaller i use 100lb; 7/0 and bigger i use 150lb)

then to a circle hook.

i do not tie my bite leader, i crimp both sides of it, easier to do when using 100lb + mono for your bite leader.

later ill take some pictures of some that i have made and post them. alot of people say 150lb is an overkill, i like it because it gives me that extra thickness incase i hook a toothy critter....

like they said its personal prefrence....i use a swivel, i dont like using the plastic or metal slides, i have personally had them snap line before when catching big reds on the shoals down here... here is how i set it up:

main line - 20lb

shock leader - 50lb (about 20feet)

on my shock leader i put a swivel and one or two beads below it, i do not use a bead above the swivel

shock leader tied to a 100-150lb barrel swivel

swivel to 4-8 inches of bite leader (6/0 hooks and smaller i use 100lb; 7/0 and bigger i use 150lb)

then to a circle hook.

i do not tie my bite leader, i crimp both sides of it, easier to do when using 100lb + mono for your bite leader.

later ill take some pictures of some that i have made and post them. alot of people say 150lb is an overkill, i like it because it gives me that extra thickness incase i hook a toothy critter....

I use the heavy duty thick plastic slides and never had one break. I like them better than the swivel because they seem to be more gentle on the line and knots. I don't use beads either, but i guess using them solves the knot problem.

Start with the hook and tie some strong line (80 - 150lb test) to the hook (I use a snell knot). Then tie or crimp the other end of that line to a barrel swivel. You want this to be anywhere from 2" to 12" long. The shorter the more casting distance, the longer the better hookup ratios with fish.

Once you have that all tied up and ready to go slide that plastic thing over your running line (hopefully a shock leader) and then tie your running line/shock leader to the other side of the barrel swivel (I use a Palomar knot). Then attach the weight to the clip on the fish finder plastic slide.

Pretty much what Jim said. I can't find those heavy duty plastic slides...I love those things with the bevel...knot doesn't take as much as a pounding. Need to research and find some.

I'll stop by Sue's. Didn't know she had them. Thanks!

I'm still very much the inept rookie surf angler (I'm awesome at chilling on a beach, though) and I'm basically trying to learn as I go. Can you buy fish finder rigs at the fishing supply shops? I'm planning my first trip of the season to AI this weekend. A nice rockfish would be great but I'd be happy to catch anything willing to put up a bit of a fight for me!

local tackle shops will sell them pre made but ive found that most major fishing companies (i.e. cabelas, bass bro, etc.) usually don't sell them and if you do stumble apon one of those stores that sell them they are usually poorly made.

you can buy pre made rigs at some shiops but ur chepest bet us jut to tiy it on your self its really a lot ezer then some people make it out to be and if youll be out sunday evning ill be out as well

Thanks guys. I guess I'll do my best to rig a few up this week and hope for the best! I'm leaving Frederick Saturday morning and looking to fish thru that night.