22 posts in this topic

Hey guys looks like im going to be able to shoot down to my house in Bethany this friday and saturday.. How has the fishing been went 2 weeks ago nothing great just the normal blues and 3 fairly large sharks that were fun untill it was time to try to take the rig out! I fished north <acronym title="Indian River Inlet"><acronym title="Indian River Inlet"><acronym title="Indian River Inlet">IRI</acronym></acronym></acronym> at the furthest south part and 3r's at night throwing mullet rigs and fish finder rigs. Any suggestions on whats been hitting or ideas of good spots to try. I finally talked my girl into coming fishing and not just laying on the beach Haha so im trying to make this a positive experience.

5852a5677d8c3_09beachtundra.jpg.559c3348

shark!.jpg.c6dbbf1301103aa1466ad6bd10dc9

shark2.jpg.1d8c0ec25b124b7ab5a03228ba54f

I think you have the right ideas already...if your bringing your girl...IRI is out...you want her to be comfy and not on slippery rocks.

Having some large Bunkah chunks may bring some toothy sharks...not just doggies. Maybe some kingfish on mullet rigs as well...and there are still some stripers migrating...

I'd go to 3r's.....but i love the place....

Good luck and let us know how you do.

Yea I was thinking if fishing the beach on the other side of the jetti at iri will also try 3r`s

Most of the stripers have moved on with the warmer water, but there are some nice blues being caught. The sandtigers should be moving in anytime now. Don't rule out Roosevelt Inlet for some trout and nice flounder as well.

What should I be throwing for the sand tigers? Bunka chunks? On striper rigs? What are your take on throwing clams in hope of some drum?

Big chunks with a wire leader, otherwise a typical FF rig.

I strongly recommend using a Circle hook, ST's have the propensity to swallow the hook and get gut hooked.

We don't want to hurt them.

What should I be throwing for the sand tigers? Bunka chunks? On striper rigs? What are your take on throwing clams in hope of some drum?

There has been a few black drum caught on 3R's Road (just south of IRI)

IMO, using circle hooks is a must.

Best of luck.

Also, anywhere you know that the charter boats come in and clean their catches....you can get the scraps of tuna etc...and use for bait as well. some of these bigger peices need to be kayaked out however...but its good free bait and you can still cast smaller chunks out.

Can you explaine the reasoning on why you feel circle hooks are a must. I have experienced both of the sharks I caught 2 weeks ago were gut hooked which became pretty messy during the extraction of the hook.

The design of the circle hook is to lodge itself in the corner of a fishs' mouth. It doesn't work every time, but it survival rate for a fish caught on a circle is much greater.

Can you explaine the reasoning on why you feel circle hooks are a must. I have experienced both of the sharks I caught 2 weeks ago were gut hooked which became pretty messy during the extraction of the hook.

For the reason I listed in my post above. To let 'em live to fight another day, they normally don't survive a gut hooking.

Philsfan75 I live in west chester but have a few rental properties on Phila. so ill be leaving from philly at about 12pm had to wait for the girl to get off work. PM me with your cell phone number are you staying in bethany? How often do you get down?

curious whats out there....ill be heading down to 3'Rs next friday/saturday:eusa_dance:

Things have slowed down a bit. Blues, kings and the occasional striper. Toothy critter have moved in as well. If you line get bitten off, go to steel leader material.

Fished 3r's this morning from 5am til 8am, just walked on, I only caught 1 skate, some guys next to me caught a sand shark and another man got a small a kingfish, other than that I didn't see much action on the beach. I went to the inlet for about an hour just to check things out.

Pittbull, I am trying to get out later tonight or first thing in the am if the wetaher breaks, I just saw your message, give me call if you go out. 610-574-5649 (Dave). I am staying in Bethany this weekend. I get down here often has I gre up down here and have family min the area.

GOOD LUCK !

I'm headed down to the IRI area on Friday night after work... got a wedding on Saturday but I've had the urge to try the surf for weeks now. I was gonna start at Keybox Rd., but sounds like 3 R's is the ticket. How's the surf fishing been at night the past few days?

I haven't heard much other than doggies, sandbars and skates at night. The sandtigers should be here with the water temp where it is.

Yo pitbull....you gotta post some info on how your fishin trip(s) went....fish or no fish. thanks man.:crybaby2:

Sorry this may sound like a really stupid question. Where is 3rs? Ive fished the IRI Jetty for years...never done anything but that. Im usually down there late at night. Taking a few days off to go to Dewy beach.. Want to do some surf fishing....My 5 year old really wants to see me catch something big...He is no longer impressed with Skates LOL.

3R's is about a1/2 mile south of Indian River inler. You'll see a sign that says "3R'S." There is a little guard station, and a spot to pump your tires up if you deflate them. If you are coming down at night, the guard station will not be occupied, so just park and walk on if you have a permit, or drive on, or you pay via the "honor system" and put the receipt on your dash. If your new to 3r's, there is no secondary bar, so you don't have to cast very far. Its a good idea to cast a rod short, just in the wash, then one farther, then one way out there. Good luck.

Hey guys sorry to get back to you so late. My trip sucked I got skunked! However I went back down on monday and had success with clams on a striper rig and finger mullet on a mullet rig caught 2 good size blues on clam 22 inches and 19 inches. Filet the 22 inch up tasted wonderful! Im going down tonight just got done working a long week end at the trauma center I work in or should I call in the knife and gun club. Cant wait to get out and wet the lines ill have my computer so ill keep you posted.

IMG00013-20090615-1409.jpg.5446bb0ef7758

did 3rs on Monday...One striper on blood worms bla

Fished dewey beach surf Tuesday night. 1 ray on squid, and a ling.

:crybaby2:poo poo