19 posts in this topic

Things are starting to slow up on the striper front. Still a few being caught but not in the numbers we were getting in May. There are plenty of blues still in the lineup, as well as larger rays.

We should start changing gears here shortly as we head into summer. Kingfish (whiting) should start showing up in greater numbers and as we head towards July, tho still early, maybe a large toothy critter.

Feel free to post your reports here...fish or no fish.

Figured I would post this hear as I mostly fish AI. I went to NJ (Island Beach State Park) this past weekend and had something spool out about 50 yards of line, then nothing, I had a 8/0 circle hook, I tighented the drag and reeled in....I didn't jerk it to set, anything I did wrong? Still new to Surf fishing but this site has helped alot, still fun even though I haven't caught anything this year.

I will be in Bethany Beach this weekend with the family so time is limited, is it worth a try in DE at DSSP or should I just drive to AI as I have a pass and an OSV sticker? Anyone going to be there this weekend.....looking for someone to fish with and learn from.

I fished A I from Sat am till Sun.noon caught 3 30" plus Dog fish and 1 Skate and 1 16" flounder.

Just leaving AI.

MD DNR came by and talked for about 10 minutes.

They went to the VA line and said no one was catching.

Greg (AIdunerunner), his wife and I caught nothing significant.

Weather was stormy off and on.

Talked to Dave, he is just now getting on the sand.

steve, sorry I could not get out earlier, fished from 5 till 12, caught 15 doggies, 9 skate, but got some good news too, I was using a high low rig and caught 4 king fish and just after dark caught 2 sandbar shark both were around three feet. then the skeeters chased jon(general) and I off the beach. they were thick. So I guess the shark are here a little earlier than planned. hopefully the big guys get here soon, Hope to head out again tomorrow.

DSC03429_399x599.JPG.e7cff6465e72c613ad2

Geez Dave!

How far down did ya go?

When did the bite start?

Kind'a like a switch, nothing on two highs and a low, then you show up and BAM! LOL!!!

What do you think made the difference, a hi/low?

Bait?

I forgot to mention, the only bait we could find was frozen Mullet and Spot.

Not sure what Dave was using, but a week ago, I was using the claws and pieces of peeler for the kings. They were tearing it up.

i caught the kings on squid strips using a king fish rig, the shark were caught on bunker chunks tossed well out into the ocean, bout an hour or two before high tide. after the tide changed the bite all but died except for the skeeters, they got bad real quick. think I am going to head out again in a little bit with the wife.

Geez Dave!

How far down did ya go?

When did the bite start?

I fished the entrance at a nice little hole i spotted at low tide, the bite started say three hours before peak high.

I know the hole...

We were there, it's been there for two weeks.

Remember it Sam?

You see all the wood?

There were three holes in the area.

saw the wood, hit the same hole this eve from 4 till 12 not as productive, gave jon (general) the best spot so i could give him a few pointers. i landed a ray and that was it, jon was b.s.ing when i seen his tica slam down, i alert him and a few minutes later he landed his first toothy critter from the surf, a nice 27 inch sandbar shark, good practice. i did have a good hard pull on my afaw, but line snapped 5 minutes into it, thought it was a big ray until i seen the remains of my leader an figured it was a sand tiger water temps were 66 degrees.

DSC03424_714x476.JPG.a664b80389bcfce78f3

DSC03431_714x476.JPG.3abc0936f4d586ab016

water only 66? Hope it warms up by next weekend... Surprised to see sandbars in that cold of water.

Thanks for the update.

water only 66? Hope it warms up by next weekend... Surprised to see sandbars in that cold of water.

Thanks for the update.

the smaller sandbars are a little more tolerant of cooler water, the big guys should show up mid july if the water temps keep rising, maybe sooner if the water warms up quicker.

fished AI past the bull pen about a mile from 10am to 630pm 12 doggies two skates at least was fun to get back on the beach:eusa_dance:

If the mosquitoes are a problem try getting a Thermacell. I bought one and keep it on my boat. They really work. Cabela's or Bass Pro carry them. It works for deer hunting too in the early seasons.

Tuesday afternoon through the night:

Assateague, about 4 miles below the BP.

Found what looked like a good hole.

Wine NE at about 17 kts, surf churned up except for this hole.

Fresh Bunker from Kool's.

Water temp IS warming quickly, felt just cool to the touch (upper 60s).

Current running south, fast, took 10's to hold.

Eight's held until grass got on, which was pretty quickly.

Lots of spray blowing in and soaking everything.

Blowing sand was really bad, hard to keep eyes open.

Couldn't hide from it, it swirled around the truck and umbrella.

When I wasn't cleaning sand out of my eyes and mouth, I didn't see any hits but the Bunker fillets were missing every time.

Tried that, heads and chunks.

No hits seen, nothing landed.

Fire dried me up after dark but smoke swirled everywhere (eyes).

Cooked a real nice dinner over coals I pulled out.

Had enough sand beers, sand scotch and sand cigars and called it quits about 2 am.

fished monday eve nothing caught, fished tue eve near the entrance at <acronym title="Assateague Island"><acronym title="Assateague Island">AI</acronym></acronym> landed a small sandbar but current and grass along with the wind made things unbearable so i packed it in.

6698d1245364748-beach-surf-fishing-fishi

DSC03433_795x530.JPG.2852922ab3231d99750

I went out on the pier last night with my friend chris we had one hook up that ripped line and the was like dead weight the got it closer in and it did a huge head jerk to snap my 65lb braid... But other than that it was quiet... Have a feeling it was a shark of some sort

I was also ther Tuesday 16 from 4:00 p.m. till appx 7:00p.m.

I was skunked rough and choppy. My boys had a blast skim boarding oldest TRIED to catch a few waves but to choppy to really surf. Puppy chasing waves is always a blast. Oh well, I will use the bunker hopefully on Saturday.