5 posts in this topic

it was a pretty day and we left the dock right around 5 am. it was pretty slow out there today, probably because of the full moon, with bites few and far between, and sporadic for most boats. Did get to see a school of Bonita busting on top, which is cool and one thing thats really cool I got to see a 40 or so lb. Yellowfin Tuna totally air out on a plug a guy threw out off the bow of their boat. That was really cool, must have gotten 8 feet in the air. When going offshore there is always a good chance you will see something that no one else or very few people have seen.

Well, today while we were trolling in an area that we knew there were big eyes, we had a bite and while the angler was reeling it it the right short rigger just popped and started peeling off. We weren't moving so we had a big fish hit a drifter. We didn't see the fish hit but saw a monster splash. The other fish that was on was a small 25 lb Yellowfin while the 50W I was holding was just totally getting dumped. We were all anxious. we thought we had a monster bigeye. That fish dumped a 50W just about straight down! had to put a little extra on the drag when it was getting low. I think he left me 5-7 feet of line left on the reel when he stopped!

Talk about a nervous situation. Now it starts coming up? WTH? "I don't think this is a big eye" I said as I was thinking blue marlin. Without getting much line back he went from straight below the boat to WAY behind the boat. I was just waiting for the blue to jump and get some air, he never did. While he was behind the boat, we backed down on him to gain back some of the 1/4 mile of line that he had taken out. I reeled and reeled until I was getting blisters on my hands (I hate when that happens). Then after 30 mins or so I had to pass the rod off to someone else because my left arm and hand was cramping really bad.

The other angler was gaining a lot of the line back as we were backing down. All the sudden I hear the captain yell "WHAT THE **** IS THAT!?" I looked back and saw a MASSIVE brown shape. after another couple minutes we get it right behind the boat. It was a 12-14' wide Manta Ray! Wow, what a spectacular animal. it started sounding again so the captain just said to cut the line. he chuckled a little bit when I said "wait, did you see any Cobias with it?"

Kewl Matt!!!!

Thanks for the report!

Kewl...but man I feel your pain with that workout!

LOL.. I can only imagine what that kind of pullage feels like!