5 posts in this topic

I got down for my first <acronym title="Ocean City"><acronym title="Ocean City"><acronym title="Ocean City">OC</acronym></acronym></acronym> trip on Saturday. I was a little discouraged by the upcoming full moon and all of the rain we had but I was itching to go anyways. We got to the harbor ramp about 8:00 a.m.. The water was very clear and the tide was very high. We stopped by Akes for some bait and headed out behind <acronym title="Assateague Island"><acronym title="Assateague Island"><acronym title="Assateague Island">AI</acronym></acronym></acronym>.

The first drift I jigged up a nice keeper and a few throwbacks. My buddy was new to flounder fishing and wasn't having any luck. Fishing slowed, so we just kept drifting south.

Around slack tide, the wind picked up and so did the fishing. We started steadily jigging up fish in 5-8 feet of water. My buddy got his first ever keepers, two fish right around 19. I ended up with 3 to 21". We had about 15 throwbacks between us.

The <acronym title="Assateague Island">AI</acronym> backbay is a special place. We saw a few schools of bunker, lots of ponies and a few osprey. The water was very clear with a good bit of eel grass. I heard alot of complaints about the grass from other fisherman, but I'll take it any day. It's a sign of a clean ecosystem. I sure wish we had some in Delaware's inland bays.

The man was out thick today on the highway, as well as on the water. I was stopped and had my cooler checked twice by the same crew. Although I hate to be bothered when I'm fishing, it's nice to see the aggressive enforcement.

5852a56648c39_oc6-6-09006(800x600).jpg.4

5852a566501f9_oc6-6-09007(800x600).jpg.2

Congratulations on a great day. How crowded was it back there?

It was a little more crowded than the usual Saturday. Most of the boats were grouped up in one area, including a couple of the headboats. Between the airport and the bridge to <acronym title="Assateague Island">AI</acronym> was where most boats were fishing. It's a lot less crowded behind <acronym title="Assateague Island"><acronym title="Assateague Island">AI</acronym></acronym> than trying to fish N. of the Rte 50 bridge though.

Did you see any Mud Minnows? Flounder love 'em.

I'd like to get back in there and toss a net on some for bait.

Steve,

I didn't see any minnows or bait other than a schools of bunker near the back of the inlet. I do get a lot of small spot and mullet back in there within a few hundred yards of the south jetty though.