6 posts in this topic

Hello, I'm new to NC (Greenville). I'll be here for the summer.I've done quite a bit of striper fishing in the north. I don't have a boat or yak. What types of fish am I targeting here? Should I chunk or plug?

You can certainly do both!

If going salty:

There is no reason to use a strategy any different, same fish, different locale.

You'll have a few different fish, but same methods work.

Maybe downsize a bit for the Sheepshead.

If going on the fresh side, same things apply in SC as do in the north.

Welcome to the board, nice to have ya here!

hello and welcome. the fishing in this area is so diverse that there are so many possibilities. just about anything found anywhere on the east coast can be had in this area at some time or another. fishing in the surf with fish bites, shrimp, bloodworms, , small cut bait, or sandfleas can produce sea mullet, spot, puppy drum, black drum, pompano, blues. if using cut bait on heavier tackle you can catch blues, drum, sharks, cobia. throwing lures in the surf you can catch pupy drum, trout, bluefish, spanish mackerel. on the piers you can catch the same but you can also live bait for the oportunity to catch a big king mackerel, cobia, sharks. you can use a kayak or small boat to expand your range and opportunities. hope it helps. let us know if you have any more questions.

So for the most part my freshwater bass rig is all I need. No need to take my 10' surf outfits with 20-30lb line unless the blues get thick or there is a run of large drum.

for throwing small lures your bass rig should suffice. I dont think I would use it for much else than throwing small lures. I would bring your surf rods too. they would be fine for soaking small and maybe even big baits depending on the rod.

I went to Nags Head pier over the weekend. I caught many skate. I also jigged up some small spot and live lined them with no luck. They swam for 3 hours and not even a nibble. Maybe next time.