6 posts in this topic

Hello anglers! I found this forum a few days ago and have been looking around trying to figure out how to fish! :) Looks like there's lots of good info to be learned from here. So when I say I'm a total newbie, I mean I've been fishing about 5 times in my entire life, and I was either too young to remember or was just following explicit directions.

We've been camping at <acronym title="Assateague Island"><acronym title="Assateague Island"><acronym title="Assateague Island"><acronym title="Assateague Island"><acronym title="Assateague Island"><acronym title="Assateague Island">AI</acronym></acronym></acronym></acronym></acronym></acronym> the past few summers and each year we get a little more into the whole ocean/water thing, so this year surf fishing is the big new adventure (heading out the week of the 15th). I've been reading through the various threads on what kind of gear to take etc, but honestly a lot of it is over my head. I picked up a 10' rod/reel combo with 20# line the other day, and have a basic tackle box with some hooks/weights etc, but am planning on stopping in at Bucks Place once we're there to get the last few necessities (figure they'll know better what's working out there than the guys here "inland").

So with all that, what are the "basic basics" I should be aware of? Any specific threads for total newbies to fishing in general? We're camping in the state park side, is it likely that I can catch something from the beach there, or do I need to head farther out to the national side? I see a lot of pictures with awesome looking fish, how likely is it that I'll be able to catch something in a weeks time? What's an easy way to identify what kind of fish I catch (to know if its big enough)?

Lots of questions I know, thanks in advance for any answers.

Charlie

Welcome to the site.

Steve gave some good info and some great links for you to read up on.

Good luck

Thanks a lot for the tips - I'll let you all know how things go.

Welcome Aboard Atlantic Anglers Charlie:hello:

you've found the right place to get answers too, about Fishing:happy5: