4 posts in this topic

Thinking of taking my kayak across to the AI jetty from the OC side. Just wondering if anyone here does same or hikes up from the state park. If so, how far is the hike and is the fishing on the AI jetty worth taking the time to get to? Thanks..Bryan

I have not personally done it, nor seen it done. But then again, I don't hang out there. The safest time would be during a slack tide. The water gets pretty fast during the change of tides.

You will have lots of waves in there because of the submerged boulders.

I wouldn't mess with it on a weekend, far too much boat traffic. But you might could launch from the harbor on the dead tide and stay to the south side.

I would recommend watching it during both tides and the slack, just to get a better understanding.

AND WEAR A PFD!!!!!

Just remember, it can be a dangerous place for a kayak..

If you don't have any rough water experience, I would leave it alone.

It's quite a hike from the state park to the jetty.

There is somebody taking people over to the jetty by boat and dropping them off to tog fish. I have seen about 20 people on the jetty earlier this spring (I assume tog fishing) while walking around the OC inlet.

Just go to the west <ACRONYM title="Ocean City"><ACRONYM title="Ocean City"><ACRONYM title="Ocean City">oc</ACRONYM></ACRONYM></ACRONYM> commercial harbor and launch. Would be a very easy and short paddle...no big deal and keeps you away from the main inlet part. You really are just kinda yaking thru the back bay part, not the actual inlet. Still be careful and always wear a pfd.

We use to paddle across with our surfboards when it was a washing machine in Ocean City during big NE's and surf by the jetty. It's a very easy to get to if you are willing to walk to the jetty. Its a very short walk, you just may need to leave your kayak on the beach where you landed it. Theft may be the only issue, but doubt that would happen. You could probably drag it over. Many boats do anchor there and sun bath and hang out on that part of the beach.