9 posts in this topic

Well I got a smoker (Weber smokey mountain) and I hope soon that I will be able to smoke up some fish.. Does anyone have any recipes for a rub or any tips on smoking fish..

Dave, I recently bought a dehydrator from BPS. They have an entire aisle with rubs and spices. I just closed my eyes and grabbed some to try out. First batch of jerky was awesome.

A smoker is next. I'll bet you can use the same rubs and such for smoking as you can for drying.

I bought the Hi Mountain brand, mesquite blend.

Never heard of them, but it's GOOD!

The smoker should come with a packet that gives recommendations and tips.

there is a whole cult following on the internets about those weber smokers. I bet they have lots of idea's and recipes for fish.

Jim, let me steal Dave's thread for a moment...

Which Weber model is a good one?

Dave, I'll get one and start experimenting along with ya!

I am not part of the cult just yet, but I been looking at getting a good charcoal grill and/or smoker so I been doing some research.

As far as smokers go, its a toss up between the big green egg and the weber smokey mountain. To me the deciding factor is the weber is 1/2 the cost of the green egg and you can move the weber around. The egg is super heavy and once its placed your not going to want to move it often.

Jim, let me steal Dave's thread for a moment...

Which Weber model is a good one?

Dave, I'll get one and start experimenting along with ya!

:) It's a Weber Smokey Mountain

I"m smoking up a Boston Butt right now..

5852a564c79f2_BostonButt010.jpg.978fc887

Dave, bluefish are excellent smoked.

BAsically its really hard to go wrong. I find that you really don't need to go over board with the spices with a smoker unless your making tandorii. For me its about the natural flavor of the woods. Find a local orchard and get some good apple or peach wood.

One of my favorite things is to take a Dove breast and wrap it around a water chestnut, Wrap a piece of bacon around this and pin it with a tooth pick. Place these on the top rack, middle rack place your rock fish lightly oiled with EVO and garlic. The bacon juices drip down onto the rock fish and you have a meal fit for a king. When every thing is close to done add some half husked corn.

BTW.. every thing is good smoked

BAsically its really hard to go wrong. I find that you really don't need to go over board with the spices with a smoker unless your making tandorii. For me its about the natural flavor of the woods. Find a local orchard and get some good apple or peach wood.

One of my favorite things is to take a Dove breast and wrap it around a water chestnut, Wrap a piece of bacon around this and pin it with a tooth pick. Place these on the top rack, middle rack place your rock fish lightly oiled with EVO and garlic. The bacon juices drip down onto the rock fish and you have a meal fit for a king. When every thing is close to done add some half husked corn.

BTW.. every thing is good smoked

Thanks for the advice