7 posts in this topic

Hey there. I just joined the site a bit ago. I'm Brenda from Lancaster, Pennsylvania. I first started surf fishing in 2007 with my husband Kevin who moved to Pennsylvania from Winnipeg, Manitoba. He was OBSESSED with getting out to surf fish and instantly fell in love with the sport which we practiced on Assateague Island.

Kevin lost his battle with a rare angiosarcoma tumor this past October, and I have since been left with my rods, reels, and a desire to continue the sport on my own. We purchased a '99 Jeep just before he passed, and it now rigged up and I have greatly enjoyed taking it OSV at Assateague Island.

I have surf fished 2x so far this summer, but I'm a little lost. I never learned how to properly tie the knot to keep my rig on, so I haven't been able to switch out anything from it's originaly setup from last summer! That's the first thing I need help with.

The other is just terminology and knowing more important things about surf fishing. I can cast just fine, and I have no problems handling the bait or fish, but I am LOST on what is in my late husband's gear bag.

HELP ME :) I appreciate any and all input. Thanks so much.

Welcome to the sight Brenda and I am so very sorry to here about your husband. I live just outside of Harrisburg, and if you would like to get together sometime in the evening or weekend I will help you sort through the stuff and show you a couple of knots.

Good luck and keep fishing!

My wife and I are out on AI pretty much every weekend. If you want some help while you are out there just send me a message and we will be more than happy to help you along.

Sorry to hear about the hubby.

You will learn alot here. Great people always willing to teach and help.

I almost live on <ACRONYM title="Assateague Island"><ACRONYM title="Assateague Island">AI</ACRONYM></ACRONYM> so if you ever see the "Big Blue Ox", flag me down.

6012d1240489349-beach-surf-fishing-delaware-surf-reports-4-15-4-30-dodge-truck.jpg

Ok, can I just say ALL OF YOU are awesome. I was starting to feel overwhelmed at the thought of doing this on my own or making the 4 hour trek to AI just to surf fish when I don't really know what to do but chuck it out there, haha. Thanks for the offers to help-I have a feeling I'll be taking you up on it!

Below is the pic of Kevin during Labor Day 2007 with his biggest catch. He had an amazing Finn Nor reel-not sure model, but the thing was several hundred dollars. He pulled it in with that....Kind of wish I had kept his great setup, but it didn't feel right, so we buried it with him. Honestly-surf fishing was his true love besides myself.

Anyways-I'm thinking of making a day trip on Saturday since it may be the only time I get down until the 20th. Will any of you be down then? Not definite yet.

n715847393_452975_50.jpg.d5ba6894d6e2a44

It can go either way with the Finn-Nor, let Kevin take it with him or you have keep it for the memories and usage.

Sorry, I can't do weekend runs, only weekdays. I work on the weekends. I prefer it, beach is far less crowded.

What gear do you have, rods and reels?

We can at least get you set up in that respect.

Stuff like what line, shock leader, knots, etc....

We have an annual summer get together, late July or early August. Always a good time with some toothy critters caught and released.

We just had our Spring get together last weekend.

Are weekends the only time you can get there?

I have 2 reels-one is a okuma "elite" haha, it's a super cheap $60 rod/reel set up that I first learned on. The second is a cabela's saltstriker I think....That's def. the nicer of the 2. I have that on a 9" ugly stick.

I can only get down on weekends. The 4 hour drive only allows me that. I'm off by 2 on Fridays, so either I come for the whole weekend or just Fri-Sat or sometimes just a random day trip on the weekend.