23 posts in this topic

Hey guys - ill be in ocean city the last week of july. will there be anything worth bringing my heavers for in the surf around that time of the summer?

the past few years i have flounder fished but this year im toying with the ideas of bring my heavers for some evening action.

if there is fish to be caught, could you provide baits and what not?....

The only thing you may need your heavers for are shark and huge rays. Bait would be bunker...or you could catch your bait...such as whiting, snapper blues, spot, and croaker. The big ones are fun to catch and end of July can be prime time charkin...good luck

That is by far, my favorite time of year there.

Lots of good Sharkin'.

Bring bug spray, shade umbrella, lightweight long sleeve shirt and pants.

Sometimes bug spray won't keep the biting flies off, only recourse is long sleeve. This is mostly during a west wind.

But be prepared.

LOTS of cold drinking water, beer alone, just doesn't cut it.

That is by far, my favorite time of year there.

Lots of good Sharkin'.

Bring bug spray, shade umbrella, lightweight long sleeve shirt and pants.

Sometimes bug spray won't keep the biting flies off, only recourse is long sleeve. This is mostly during a west wind.

But be prepared.

LOTS of cold drinking water, beer alone, just doesn't cut it.

thanks steve. we have them biting flies on the surf down here as well, they definently suck! is there any spots you would recommend to an out of towner looking to surf fish? the hotel we stay on is on 37th street i was just going to head out there in evenings and maybe a morning (if im not hungover) and fish the beach right in front of the hotel.

ive flounder fished before on the dock behind the skate park and ball fields (9th st i think?? or maybe 3rd...not sure) and have had good success, just looking to do something different this year. i have never fished the pier before, is pin rigging allowed there? and if i was to show up with all my gear would i be welcome on the end of the pier? the reason i ask, ive been to piers before that if you weren't part of the "click" at the end, you weren't welcome... id rather try my luck from the surf, but im willing to try whatever.

any more advise you guys can give would be great! Thanks again!

there is a small park in w.oc s/s of 50 bridge(old shanty town). very little parking but a nice little beach to fish from

I fish the <ACRONYM title="Ocean City">OC</ACRONYM> pier almost everynight in the summer. We bring rods from 7ft-13.3ft so they wont be surprised to see them. I usually use bunker from the pier and i have had success there... at that time in the year you can catch plenty of things from the pier including sharks,rays,kingfish(whiting),croaker,spot,some flounder and blues. Usually you will hook a fish or two. My dad and I are usually some of the only locals up there so getting a spot on the end isnt a problem usually. Gl with where ever you decide to go

do you guys pin rig up there or is it mostly bottom fishing on the pier?

do you guys pin rig up there or is it mostly bottom fishing on the pier?

Bottom fishing mostly with the occasional Gotcha for blues.

Hey guys thanks for all the advice. Im driving up to OC tomorrow. It seems that everyone mostly likes to fish AI for sharks, so my next question is do you have to have drive on the beach to get to a fishing spot or is there a parking lot that i can park and try my luck from? i have a truck, but its not 4wd (dont ask). if any of you guys are out fishing one night next week, id be interested in comind down and meeting you and learning how you guys do it up there in maryland.

Im also hoping to get up with Sam and fish with him and his crew.

Let me know, other wise ill be fishing 37st area of OC in the evenings (since thats where im staying)