10 posts in this topic

I would like to try and give these fish a go this weekend, assuming they are still around. All the pictures I see are of people catching blacks in the daylight. Are they pretty much daytime feeders?

Phil, I was wondering the same thing,,,I am setting one rod out tonight with clam and see what happens,,,I would think they are similar to their cousins, hardhead, reds, which can feed at night.

Scott, that is a good point. I assumed they were daytime feeders, but you are right about the croakers.

what size and kind of hooks do you use for those critters? how long do they stay in the surf?

Hi Jettyrat and welcome to the board! I use an awesome rig that coop showed me how to use. The hook size is 8/0 circle and I'm not sure exactly how long they stay in the surf. I do know they like the water temps around 55.

any details you can share on the rig other than hook size? photo? :)

I am pondering about tossing BIG chowder clams tonight,,,I only have a dozen of steroid size clams and 4 dozen medium ones and am wondering if HUGE drum patrol the shoreline at night,,,may toss the big clams out tonight and see what happens.

I took a huge black drum Sat night......thought I had the next record striper for a while. Black drum are very active at night.

thanks for the info guys i'll give ththose rigs a try. hope to meet you gentelman on the beach.

that's a good rig. coop try the medium clams or half of the large one it gives off more scent that way.