10 posts in this topic

new to conventionals bought a 525 for 11ft rod and like it alot. possibly in market for a second reel for 9ft to use as break down vacation/travel rod(no room in family vehicle for big rods) does level wind kill your cast that much? pros-cons thanks

levelwinds and shock knots don't mix well. If you are using the reel for surf casting I would stay away from a levelwind.

If you are trolling or occasionally using it for surf casting I would stick with a levelwind.

levelwinds and shock knots don't mix well. If you are using the reel for surf casting I would stay away from a levelwind.

Second!

If you are trolling or occasionally using it for surf casting I would stick with a levelwind.

Ditto

I have been using an ambassadeur 7000 level wind this spring without any difficulty but have no experience without level wind. I am using a 30 lb. shock leader and have had no problems using a blood knot trimmed close with the level wind feature.

You really have to watch a levelwind on the beach, if a little wind picks up and blows some sand in the worm gear that makes the levelwind wind level, it is nothing but problems. The only thing to get use to without the levelwind is you have to use your thumb to evenly distribute the line when reeling in.

It sounds as if you trim your knots very close and carry water to clean it, the level wind would probably be alright. Of course, it depends on how narrow the opening is too.

It sounds as if you trim your knots very close and carry water to clean it, the level wind would probably be alright. Of course, it depends on how narrow the opening is too.

I know alot of guys spread the leveler just a bit to allow for clearance on the shock knot. I'm with AM on this one, sand in the gears can be a headache.

thanks guys really like my penn 525 but i was looking to spend a lil less on this reel without buying junk. got to save some money for my fall hunting addiction. any suggestions? thanks

Dawia SHA 20 or 30 reel can be had brand new for right around $100 bucks. If the gear box placement doesn't bother you these reels are great!