7 posts in this topic

I have an off the shelf STCroix Premier 10' rated to 4 ounce spinning rod...and was considering putting braid on my reel ......

I ususally throw 15-17 pound mono on my other combos....

I was planning on throwing 3-4 ounces with 30-40 pound rated power pro while surf fishing..........

I'm sure it's been talked about in the past, but has anyone had issues with braid damaging their guides ? The description from the factory states this rod has "feather-light aluminum oxide surf guides"......

I don't want to start a braid vs. mono debate here.......just looking for some info regarding guide damage ( or no damage) from using braid.....

Thanks,

Stan

KEEP YOUR HOOKS SHARP, AND YOUR LINES TIGHT !!!

guides are super cheap to replace even if they are damaged from braid. If you are considering switching to braid, guide damage is the last thing that should be on your mind.

Usually when you are about guide damage its because of long extended runs with large fish offshore where the line is constantly moving and heating up over the guides. You are very unlikely to encounter this while surf fishing.

Just remember if you do use high test braid, your rod will break before the line and puts a lot more shock on the rod, make sure your drag is set correctly.

I agree with the idea that the guides are cheap to replace. I have heard that the braided line can cause small cuts in the guides and that this can cause the line to fray. For this reason the Fuji guides are supposed to be the best.

Stan,

I have the same rod. IMO that is the best rod ST. Croix ever built. I have caught spot with it and up to a 40# rockfish as well. I use 30# braided line on the rod and never have had an issue for the 7 years owning it.

I say go for it and enjoy.

Finaddict-

That's exactly the kind of response I wanted to hear.......

Thanks,

Stan

I have newer Fuji guides on all my rods. I run from 10 lb to 100 lb braid, no issues as of yet (3 years).

Finaddict-

That's exactly the kind of response I wanted to hear.......

Thanks,

Stan

I aim to please. Now got stickem' and post your fishing report.

Good luck, my friend