6 posts in this topic

Recently, we just went with my friend's uncle to North Cheasepeake Bay for trolling Rockfish. Unfortunately, being a beginner, he had no clue as to what he was doing and used a downrigger as the fishing pole itself for trolling. The lines were constantly getting tangled up and the weights were attched wrongly. Not surprising, we did not get any fish as this method is completely new to all of us b/c he just bought the boat. Could some1 please help us out with everything so at least we could start out right and learn? Thanks a Bunch!

Welcome to the site! we have a few members here that will chime in with trolling methods. I myself stick to shore, so I can't help you much.

I fish at the mouth of the bay but i would imagine they are chasing the bunker around up there too. I normally use 2 trolling poles off the back each rigged with a stretch 25. This year i had great luck with the grey ghost color and chartreuse. In addition we would drop Mojo's to the bottom with a 1/2 oz buck tail as a trailer, both on wire line. both set ups worked great in about 25-30 ft of water. Good luck.

Clear'n Waves is corrrect streches work quite well but don't leave the dock without bucktails(double rigged my favorite) and my personal favorite is a big spoon down the middle waaaaaaaay back(minimum #19 tony).Since you are beginners I'll try and get you set uo here as best i can;

1.read the package on that the strectch comes in. it will tell you to drop it back 150ft.+ to get it to swim at the labeled depth. strectch 8, 20, 25 etc. indicates the depth it was designed and made to swim at.

2. Trolling rods,if you have'nt already invested.... Penn Senetors work just fine or the slammer series. I still have my Senetors from when I started chartering and still use them. You can upgrade as you progress or if you are a tackle junkie (like me) you will be buying rods and reels forever!

3. Speaking of reels, (and rods for that matter) buy the best your budget can fit in. Some Capts. will tell you only use this or that brand but now at 30+ rods and reels my setup is what you would call... eclectic!

Again go for the best quality you can afford. Lots of bay troolers like the Penn GTI series. I don't own any but I'm sure you can get some feedback from others here. IN MY OPINION. if you are planning on a life of fishing Shimano TLD 15s set up on a matching rod will last a long time if cared for. You don't need roller guides on the rods and the trend is away from rollers somewhat.

4. Wire line would take a whole nother page!!! GTI levelwinds, Okumas, and shimanoTLDs with #30-#50 braided line with Mono or Florocarbon leaders to your lures will work. Just don't thumb that Braided line it will slice you up!

5. Find a well established tackle shop and tell them your plans most will be more than happy to help get you outfitted.

6.In line sinkers. You have to put the baits where the fish are. I can go on and on but there are tackle shops, books and occasionally a charter Capt or two will help you out! I hope I have.

The Penn GTI's are what we use for our wire line when we drag the mojo's near the bottom.

don't leave the dock without bucktails!! is right. I had one of my best days at the cbbt using just a bucktail on light tackle. Five of us on the boat caught limits and they were all between 30" and 36". We all used 1/4 or 1/2 oz bucktails with a white or red grub tail on it. I have found that the addition of the tail is very successful.

The big ones are pretty much gone since you said the north chesapeake. I'd downsize your gear and run 2-4oz bucktails. This year was pretty horrible out there during trophy season. I saw most fish caught in 35-45' of water (where I'm usually pulling them out in the middle of the channel). Blues should be in already so forget the soft baits, you'll just lose the tails. During the summer months I troll 20-30lb mainline to a #1, 2 or 3 planer (try different sizes until you find the fish) behind the planer run about 15' of mono to a barrel swivel to a 15' piece of mono with a clark spoon on it. make sure you paint your planers flat black it will cut down on the number you lose due to bluefish. What section of the "north chesapeake" are you fishing? knowing that will allow people to feed you a little better more detailed info.