5 posts in this topic

Just found the site and am hopeful that I can cut out some of the trial and error by talking with some people here. I am in OC working for the summer and have a varied schedule so should have a decent amount of time to fish. Love all types of fishing and eating just about any fish that is good to eat. Went around to several bait shops to get info and decided to head to Assateague to try out surf fishing. The first day I brought my whitewater kayak with me and played in the waves (plan to keep it in the car to get some surfing in when the waves are right). I fished for the first time yesterday morning from about 5:00-10:00am right in front of the south parking lot. Caught one flounder which was 17 inches and three scats (pains in the rear). I was told that the scats can be a problem at low tides and that pretty much proved itself. Caught them on cut bunker and had no luck on clams. Was using a rig with three hooks 1/0 (two of which were gold with gold spinners on them) and 5oz of weight. Got tangled many times so I cut down the rig last night and hopefully wont have the same problem. If anyone has any good suggestions for me as to what I should try in the surf at Assateague and OC(if it is worth my time to fish OC???). Any other fishing suggestions in the area would be greatly appreciated too. I would love to hook up with some kayak anglers and would even try to find a used fishing kayak to buy if I had some people to kayak fish with. Rig and bait and location suggestions for the surf and the OC south inlet would be great (don't need to know any "secret" spots or anything just want to wet a line and maybe find some others to fish with).

PS...Is is worth trying sand fleas in the surf??

Thanks....Bryan

sand fleas make great bait!

do a search on fishfinder rigs and you will get all the info you need on a good all around rig for the surf. Search some of the old fishing reports and read them and you will learn what is biting during each month.

you can catch fish pretty much anywhere in the surf. Just pay attention to the rules regarding when you can fish in OC.

The RT50 bridge is great at night! I never tried it but i heard good things about the ocean pier during the summer.

OCsnapper......that link isn't working for me. Not sure why??

Bryan

OCsnapper......that link isn't working for me. Not sure why??

Bryan

Try that link now, I think I fixed it.

Yep..it's working now....Thanks!