19 posts in this topic

what a day! I was too excited to sleep last night so I have been running on empty all day. just got home about an hour and a half ago. looking forward to bed. anyways. heres a quick report. we took 2 boats out of HI and loaded the yaks on them. we took them offshore trying to catch dolphin from the yak. on our boat it was me, Ric Burnley, captain, mate, cameraman, 3 hooters girls, and Joy who will be writing an article for the island free press. it was very calm in the morning on our way out. we found an area that looked fishy. Ric was fishing solo in a yak and I was paired with joy as her "motor" in a tandem. that was pretty much my duty but we found it better if she was the motor and I was the fisher. that way she could still take pics when there was a fish on. I was the first to hook up not long after arriving. sitting on top of the water and looking up at a dolphin jumping out of the water is an awesome feeling. he took line, I took line back and forth until I had him along the side of the yak. I have never seen any dolphin as beautifully lit up as I did today when they were next to the yak.

I took a wrap on the leader and the leader parted! 0 for 1. not long after that Ric hooks up and he lands his fish after a couple jumps and a tug of war. in the next 3 hours or so I manage 4 more bites of very acrobatic dolphin. towing Joy and I around and turning our yak. I still didn't land any and am 0 for 5. Two parted leaders and 3 pulled or thrown hooks. Ric gets a couple more bites and lands another one. even after joy and I switched roles she got a bite. unfortunately, that one threw the hook to.

I don't think I can describe the feeling you get when you have a 10-15 pound gaffer dolphin going airborne, sometimes less that 10 feet in front of you. or doing a 360 around your yak. sometimes you have to actually look "up" at them in the air when you are in the yak. really cool. at one point they were jumping in my kayak! another time I saw a small school of them right under my kayak.

Well, one that was hooked on the boat jumped and landed right in front of me in my yak! he flopped around for a second and went off the other side. this is definitely something I want to do again! I think the guys on the other boat managed to catch 1 dolphin and a few amberjacks. pics and video to come soon!

So kewl!

Yeah, you must post pics of the um, er, the Captain and the boat.

Some shots from Momma-boat looking at the yaks would be cool too.

Any details on the other stuff we talked about?

Wow, sounds like you had a fun day! Get some sleep and post some pics!

Awsome trip Matt...That is really a cool way to fish offshore.

3 hooters girls ??? I can't wait to see some photos :eek:

I only have a couple pics. I got the message "memory card full" message and realized that some of the pics I tried to take didnt take.

Here are the pics I got. wish I had more. I would have had more if it weren't for the technical difficulties. included in the pics are Ric Burnley (writer for saltwater sportsman magazine and hardcore kayak fisherman), Joy Crist (reporter for island free press), camera guy, babe 1, 2, and 3, and Chuck (captain)

atthedock.JPG.017ed2513d51066cfddef2696f

reporter.JPG.90b95ede670a117e5ee090757fc

ricburnley.JPG.c4e7471277d290e58026e4d86

myladies.JPG.f9aeac0e5dff776d56f00a03a59

ohyeah.JPG.86b8a668f4c96b2bf760f994f16cc

girlsyaking.JPG.99e6e0f1e37fe6e20e53635a

onthewayout.JPG.a16cf989a31c2346dea5468b

Hatteras Dolphin; Kayak Crack

Three days of beautiful weather don’t come together very often; so, you have to make hay while the sun shines. Fished the shoals with Kevin and Shante after school on Friday and Kevin scored a 43 inch red. Between impending thunderstorms and big bull sharks swimming under the yak, I was puckered pretty much the whole time. Got home and packed my gear then headed to Oregon Inlet to fish with Captain Jason Snead on the Dream Girl. Always a blast. Boxed a 52 pound dolphin right off the bat then added another dozen gaffers before turning to the deep in search of a bill. Wasn’t long before a blue and black Ilander on the left short disappears into a blue hole. Fish on! Two-hundred-pound blue put on a great show while Jason chased him down. Jimmy cleared the Ilander and grabbed the leader just as the man-sized fish launched out of the water and broke the line.

Awesome! Two days of great fishing was a tough act to follow. Believe it or not, Sunday was even better. Rob Alderman, host of Outer Banks Angler TV, invited me to join him to film an episode about kayak fishing offshore. Sunday morning, we loaded our kayaks, food and drink, rods and reels, journalists, camera man, and Hooters girls (television) on two charter boats. Half the crew was on Big Tahuna and I was with the other half on Captain Chuck Gregory’s boat Fish Hog. We didn’t have to go far to find weed and dolphin. Hit the break and launched the yaks. We were trolling split billed ballyhoo and it wasn’t long before Matt Adams and Joy Crist, who were fishing in a tandem, to hook up. The dolphin jumped and went berserk but Matt lost it next to the boat. Then I landed a small fish.

Matt and Joy hooked and lost five more and I caught another bailer when I noticed something flashing under one of the weed beds. Dropped a Stingsilver and jigged up a tinker mackerel. Quickly tied up a 9/0 Gami J-hook and dropped the little bullet over the side. Seas were so calm that I was able to stand and paddle along the weed beds. Bait wasn’t out 10 minutes when I looked back to see a big green head engulf the little fish. Game on! Big dolphin screamed drag, shot across the surface, jumped completely out of the water over my head, and threw the hook. Yahoo! Definitely addicted.

Fishing slowed as the wind and current picked up. Yakers on the Big Tahuna caught two Amerjack and a nice dolphin. Ended the day pulling amberjack off Diamond Shoals Light (in the boat) with 250 gram vertical jigs. Rob, Chuck, and Scott are cooking up more bluewater kayak trips, get in touch with them if you’re interested.

Red-drum.jpg.baf70699e4ba50f80c54dfc9aac

Marlin.jpg.3b06afa0cefecc2ed612769b87b07

dolphin.jpg.fa7a8a5e7db9d98907a39c37f05d

dolphin2.jpg.bf5d3353ea738768b1732426d41

WOW! That is all I can say....:icon_thumright:

sick man cannt wait to see more reports from you this summer doing this!

Great report! It is a similiar sensation offshore fishing from a jet ski, except I was lacking in hooters girls.

Excellant report!! Looks like you had a blast!! thanks for sharing!!

Thats it...time for a change...Sign me up!

Great report Matt. I saw it on the "other" forum. Man what a great time you all must have had. Great pics by the way.

it was a blast. hope to do some more soon.

Matt, it sounds like a blast!! That would be an awesome trip in a yak. Might have to look into that one time.

awesome! i am trying to get the guy who we go tuna fishing with let me take a yak out. maybe soem hooters girls would help persuade him better than I can!

awesome! i am trying to get the guy who we go tuna fishing with let me take a yak out. maybe soem hooters girls would help persuade him better than I can!

Its amazing, the power of persuasion that Hooters girls possess.