5 posts in this topic

As the size limits get longer,and the released fish get more numerous,are we actually doing the species any favor by releasing it. I see floaters all the time.I know a lot of anglers dont use circle hooks yet.I use them and find that all fish are lip hooked and never gut hooked,witch increases the release mortality rate.What do you think?????

Circle hooks are the way to go. Most anglers are crushing the barbs on thier hooks as well.

Lactic Acid is a good cause for floaters as well. Alot of anglers like doing the "light tackle" thing to catch bigger fish, for the fight. Acid builds up in the fish as the fish struggles in the fight. Even after what you think is a good release, building acid in the fish, from a prolonged fight, kills the fish hours later.

We all enjoy a good fight from a nice fish, just try not to prolong the fight when planning to release the fish.

They are 95% all I use, you can't beat them once you get the hang of useing them.

I'm a circle hook fan myself. In the surf I try to put a slight offset in the hook, especially while I'm doin the dead-stick relaxation thing:happy8:...Reading eating or drinking......when you can't just rush to the rod deal:fish:

The only time I don't use circle hooks are when targeting smaller species off a pier or with lures and plugs.

Any rod that is going to be spiked or left unattended gets a circle hook on it.