14 posts in this topic

Well I had to buy a new rod so with that I got a new Daewa Sealine-X 40SHV took afew cast with it out in the back yard one blow up on the frist cast after that I took my time and tryed longer ones still need some work but I like the feel of tossing it.

Dave, that reel should of come with a bag with brakes,,,use the red ones with rounded side facing out,,,just take the clicker cover plate off and slide the brakes on each shaft,,,they go on loose,,,trust me, it helps and almost makes it fool proof.

Great buy and I can't wait to see ya cast it!

ok, I think Im ready for another surf rod 'n reel, conventional :mrgreen:

Im also looking at the Daiwa Sealine-X and see they list a X40SHA(6:1) and a X40HA (4.9:1) I didn't see the X40SHV that Dave got, is that a different model :?: which gear ratio is better for the surf, 6:1 or 4:1 :?: and does NE1 use the Newell :?: any feed-back on it :?:

friday night BPS :lol:

Hey guys i hear alot of talk about the diawa reel...i was out looking at the 525mag last night at BPS. What do you like so much about the diawa over the penn or is it about the same??? Is there anything u like better about one then the other. I also saw the shimanno TLD series, Any feedback on those?? im not looking for a BIG real just a nice all around reel ( not for BIG sharks )

The Daiwa has a loud clicker, which is cool. After Coop put the two mags in my Penn 525, I haven't had a bit of trouble with it. Great reel, except for the clicker, which isn't too bad..

Nate, you cant go wrong with either one,,,very good reels,,,advantage of the diawa,,,like Sam said, loud clicker, holds more line,,,I do like the mag control on the penn,,,put a couple mags in it and your good to go,,,they both are very good,,,the 40 is a large reel and great for big sharks and big fish,,,if you have large hands, the reel would be fine, but the 30 fits my hands perfect,,,the 40 was just to big,,,the 525 is the most comfortable reel around for me, but then again, line capacity is low but still enough to tackle big stripers and drum with 17lb line.

Randy they are different models,,,the only difference between the 2 is the handle and the bearings,,,pretty much the same reel,,,the sha is the latest and replaces the shv.

Ive always like shimanno for freshwater and saw the TLD series...is that a casting reel like the 525 or diawa????

ok, guess then I'll go wth the Daiwa-X40 then as they(BPS) have them in stock wher the Newells are 2 weeks away, may also check-out the Shimano "Saltist" too 8) and prob a 11'6" St Croix rod :D

ummmmm........ :idea: I'll call this my "Memorial Day present for my fellow serviceman & women who gave ther lives to protect me so I can fish" gift :mrgreen:

sounds like a great setup randy! lemme know how u like the reel!

ok can do, but I hvn't made my mind-up on either the Shimano or the Diawa :?

Scott, thanks for the info 8)

Dave, sorry to jack your thread :lol:

Don't worry Randy :up: Scott did I hear ya right that the 40 can be used for sharkin? And about the size I don't think its big, and to think I almost went with the 50 :) I never know when to stop when it comes to size ( well the bigger the toys the bigger the joy )

Dave, I looked at the 40,,,personally, it was just to big for my hands (my short thumb),,,so I went with the 30.

OK I know this thread is old but no bother starting a new one

As stated above my 40 I have had for about 3 months now and have been working on my casting I tryed both red and black breaks and had better luck with the red ones but would still get some nesting more often then I would like to have so today I decided to put both breaks in red first and then the black. tossed afew times in my yard with some lite casts with not nesting so I went down to my buddies house since he sits on 3 acres and let it loose man what a difference both breaks make for me was able to get it out about 60 to 70 yards with only two nests that were not to bad to clear. I was tossing a fish finder rig with 6oz and a 3oz to act as bait. I'll let ya know how it goes with more practice... :)