1 post in this topic

Take your pick of either offshore or inshore fishing. They are both producing many satisfying catches.

The action offshore continues to be outstanding for sailfish, blackfin tuna, kingfish, dolphin and bonito. It has been best to get out early in the day as we are in that time of year when we have almost daily afternoon thunderstorms. If the morning doesn't fit your schedule, then wait out the rain and get out in the later afternoon till dark and the reward is usually very good for blackfin tuna.

Inshore, the late afternoon, evening bite for tarpon is outstanding. There are lots of fish well above 100 pounds, so if you've ever had the dream and desire to catch a large tarpon, now is the time to get out and get that goal accomplished.

Eddie Hudon, Steve Wallace, Gary Seidman, and Tony Marmon hung in with fairly windy conditions of E/ESE @ 14 - 19 knots. The reward was well worth it. Action with sailfish on both the kite and flatlines, along with bonito, kingfish, and dolphin kept us all busy waiting for the next strike.

Brad Coren and John Perkins also hung in with the windy conditions of ESE/SSE @ 12 - 25 knots. The day started off with a triple header of kingfish; one on the kite and two on the flatlines. The fish on the kite was the biggest of the day weighing in at a very nice 36 pounds. We had other cutoffs and chopped baits and added another kingfish and a tasty cero mackerel. Fishing a bit deeper, we had action with dolphin. On the final drift of the 3/4 day trip, John hooked his first sailfish ever. The fish ate the long kite bait while I was wrapping up the deep rod and getting ready to make the run back in. The sail put on a very exciting aerial show for us While making numerous runs in every direction. The fish was released after posing for pictures at boat side.

Evan Rees was celebrating his birthday with his friends Josh Rutter, Charles Gonzalez, and Brian Mormile. Of the four friends, he was the only one who hadn't caught a tarpon yet. That was all to change before the evening was over. After putting out the baits, we settled into our first drift. It didn't take to long before we had action and Evan was first up. The 100 pound tarpon did its thing and Evan enjoyed the entire fight. Every time the fish came near the boat or made a jump, he gave out a shout of joy that could be hear for miles. Both pictures and video captured the moment as Evan caught and released his first tarpon. Afterwards, we had two more strikes. Both fish were solid hook ups. We landed one after a very hard fought battle that took us from the south side at Government Cut all the way in to just west of the Coast Guard base. The other fish managed to find an obstruction on the bottom and cut us off after several minutes.

The next evening, it was back to tarpon fishing after the rain storms passed through. This time I had Mark Sosin on board and we were shooting a segment for his series Mark Sosin's Saltwater Journal. The fish were not camera shy on this evening. Within 30 seconds of putting out the baits, we had our first fish on. We fought and filmed this one from start to final release and had one on film. The next drift we got 3 tremendous jumps out of a tarpon before it gave us back our hook. The next fish cut us off on a bottom obstruction. The fish remained cooperative and we filmed another to right up next to the boat before the hooked pulled. The final fish of the evening was a total film success and the first evening of filming ended with a 3 for 4 count.

Mark was back for the second evening of filming. It took a bit longer to get the fish going on this evening. The first 3 fish did not want to cooperate with us and threw the hook on either the first or second jump. The last two drifts were the money drifts. We got a complete fight start to release with both fish. The last one was a huge 140 pound fish that did us a great favor by running into the shallow water instead of the deep water of the main channel. The fish spooled 3/4's of the line off a Penn TRQ300 reel before we could make any headway toward gaining line back. Twice, we thought we had pulled the hook when the fish turned around and charged toward the boat. The second time, it took Mark about 30 seconds to catch up with the fish while he was reeling madly to gain back line. In the end, the fish was released and another successful evening of filming came to an end.

There you have it, offshore and inshore the fishing is outstanding.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now