18 posts in this topic

Hello All,

I purchased a BPS OM 12' conventional before the season and have used it a few times. I am new to conventionals and this is my first. I wanted to purchase the OM Cape Point as i have heard good things. I know they dont make them anymore in conventional but i could not find one anywhere. Does anyone know what the differences are between the two? I have heard practically nothing about the Regaular OM 12' conventional. Anyone had any long term experience with them?

I am looking into buying another conventional setup and was wondering if i should continue to look for a Cape Point or if there is something better or similar on the market in the same price range. I am not ready to spend the coin on a custom as i am still new to conventional. I throw mainly 8 n bait.

Any assitance would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry for the long post :redface: Thanks again.

I do not have any personal experience in the drink with the CP. I did check it out at BPS and thought it looked cheap and fragile.

I heard one person complained about the reel attachment point.

They may have upgraded the point since I last looked, that was when it first came out.

Personally, I don't see the need for a quick release for a reel.

The reel seat on the cape point is abysmal in my opinion. A lot of people that I know cut off the reel seat and put a regular seat on it.

If you are looking for a step up from the regular ocean master, you can take a peek at the HDX and LDX breakaway rods.

If you want to get adventurous you can try making your own custom surf rod from a blank. Its not that hard and with a little research you will be fine. Trust me, if I can do it, anyone can do it.

No they don't make the conventional CP anymore

I own an original 6-12 12' OM conventional it does have a bit of a stiff tip for detecting a bite. It's the same blank from each other but where the reel seat is at it makes the rod tip and sinker load a big difference.

Thanks for the Feedback guys.

So it is the same blank. That is a question i have also had.

As far as the breakaway rods. Which is a better 8 and bait heaver... the LDX or the HDX.

Thanks

I am pretty sure the regular ocean master and the cape point are NOT the same blank.

I am pretty sure the regular ocean master and the cape point are NOT the same blank.

I was under the impression

that the blanks are the same and only the reel seat is different. That's what the salesman told me. I have a 12' OM rated for 6-12 oz. It is a great rod for the money. I've had mine for 3 years w/t no problems. It is a bit on the stiff side though. You do need 8 oz to get it to load properly.

I was under the impression

that the blanks are the same and only the reel seat is different. That's what the salesman told me. I have a 12' OM rated for 6-12 oz. It is a great rod for the money. I've had mine for 3 years w/t no problems. It is a bit on the stiff side though. You do need 8 oz to get it to load properly.

I have thrown both and own 3 of the regular ocean masters. The cape point has a completly different feel to me. The cape point has a slower action to me, once you learn how to load it, the cape point is a lot more powerful than the regular ocean master.

Right on Basspro's site it says that the Ocean Master Cape Point uses the Ocean Master blank.

"These exciting new rods nail down the concept of pure design like nothing else you've ever seen or cast. Powerful Ocean Master blanks are fitted with rugged,..."

There are dozens of articles, posts write-ups etc stating the blanks are the same if you google cape point ocean master blank. The salesman I spoke to said the same thing as their website does.

I know this question has prob been already asked but does anyone know if the guides on the OM are good enough to hold up to braid line thanks .

I know this question has prob been already asked but does anyone know if the guides on the OM are good enough to hold up to braid line thanks .

I have been using braid for 3 years on mine with no problems.

Right on Basspro's site it says that the Ocean Master Cape Point uses the Ocean Master blank.

"These exciting new rods nail down the concept of pure design like nothing else you've ever seen or cast. Powerful Ocean Master blanks are fitted with rugged,..."

There are dozens of articles, posts write-ups etc stating the blanks are the same if you google cape point ocean master blank. The salesman I spoke to said the same thing as their website does.

I must have two different OM's then both are 12'ers conv, but they are two different colors my Cape Point is blue(don;t appear to be painted) and the plain OM is black. And they both load,throw, and different actions compleatly so I have a hard time believeing they are the same blank. JMO

I must have two different OM's then both are 12'ers conv, but they are two different colors my Cape Point is blue(don;t appear to be painted) and the plain OM is black. And they both load,throw, and different actions compleatly so I have a hard time believeing they are the same blank. JMO

I agree, I own 3 of the regular ocean masters (well two now since one snapped) but they all throw exactly the same. I used a cape point a couple times and it had a completly different feel than my regular ocean masters.

Maybe someone should call Basspro and tell them their website is wrong:icon_wink:

Maybe someone should call Basspro and tell them their website is wrong:icon_wink:

I don't think its wrong. It all how you perceive it.

The cape point special is an ocean master rod. Think of it in cars, There are many different Fords out there, but they are always very different.

I don't think its wrong. It all how you perceive it.

The cape point special is an ocean master rod. Think of it in cars, There are many different Fords out there, but they are always very different.

true...it is an Ocean Master Cape Point