8 posts in this topic

I am new to the fourm as well as inlet fishing. I am a surf fishing type of guy. What do you guys suggest I run at IRI for stripers or drum just bought a new spinnin rod. Suggest I fish the tides as well and stick with the surf the other times. Any other suggestions for night surf fishing? Are their any requiriements or is it illegal to night fish on the drive on beach? I am assuming their are no restrictions on what time you can enter or exit the drive on beach?

IRI is not much of a live bait spot for Stripers...unless your throwing eels or drifting bait from a boat or kayak.

As a rule of thumb...outgoing tide fish the SouthEast point...incoming tide Northeast of Northwest. Swim plugs like Storm lures work well...and Jigs tipped with white color grub with an inline weight work well as well. Lot of hang-ups..Its hit or miss...but watch other fisherman, put your time in, and you'll get 'em.

Stay off the bottom, lots of rigs lost in the rocks. Try using a surface popper and make a lot of noise with it. A mid column rattler would work too.

#1 get some cleats/spikes to walk on the rocks. When wet it's dangerous.

Swim Shads have gotten me the most Stripers (schoolies) in my limited time at IRI. I'm gonna try some of those new gulp eels and see if they like them this year. Most of the keeper fish I've seen caught, (still waiting for my first keeper size) were on top water plugs near the end of the inlet. Keep some hard metal gotcha' or spoons for when the blues show up. Have seen & caught a few smaller fish caught on sand fleas floated along the rocks also. Learned that trick by watching others, Like trimlc said.

A gaff is needed in case you do get a biggie!

Good Luck & Be Safe

I forgot to mention...

Please consider wearing a PFD out on the jetties.

People haven't gone home because they weren't wearing one.

The last jetty victim I know of locally got conked in the head with his lead weight and fell in.

If jetty fishing is pretty new to you, NEVER go out there alone. Take a buddy until you are comfortable with the surroundings. Swin baits, plugs, bombers and bucktails work well for me in the inlet.

For years I have been "floating fleas" for stripers. Yes, stripers eat sandfleas. I find and eddy with little current, use an 8/0 circle hook, pack on as many fleas as you can and cast into the eddy. Using no sinker, let the fleas sink to the bottom. It will take a minute or two, but they will go down in the current. You can feel the rocks with your line. Slowly move the fleas in a super slow jigging motion. There are times when tou get snagged up, but that is fishing the inlet. I hope this helps.

As for surf fishing at night. Stripers are caught often at night from the surf. The Sandtiger sharks are beginning to move in, be careful when handling these sharks. They are lethargic at best, but have a buzzsaw in thier mouth. The teeth look like a Mako's mouth.

Accessing the beaches can be tricky, some beaches in <ACRONYM title=Delaware>De</ACRONYM> are 24 hours and some are sunrise to sunset. CHSP north beach is sunrise to sunset as is Herring Point. Between the two beaches ic the "Naval Jetty" beach, this is a 24 hour access. Most of DSSP is a 24 hour access, but this can change with adverse weather conditions.

Best of luck, my friend.

I have been on dewey beach patrol for a few years now last thing ill worry about is drowing lol thanks for the heads up im used to pulling drunk people out of the water instead of fish! Thanks for the advice!

I hear ya PITBULL. I've done 4 Ironman Triathlons myself and feel confident in my swimming for sure.....BUT the issue it this: You slip on the rocks ...bang your head on the rocks....get washed into the Inlet....and theshows over. Its being unconcious in the water that is the issue....

I go out on the rocks at night frequently...but I always have a PFD, korkers, an keep an eye on the waves coming at me....I always let someone know that I'm out there as well(wife, friend, etc.....).

:icon_thumright:Thats our concern for ya.