10 posts in this topic

I read that people catch lots of doggies, skates, etc at AI.

Are they good to eat?

I know stripers are, obviously, but what other fish are considered tasty by the pros?

For example, I personally don't care for bluefish, but would love to hear all opinions on fish that are being caught in the AI surf.

Good to eat

Rock, flounder, Sea trout, king fish, Croaker, are just a few..

Whiting, Spot, Smooth Dogfish and large Skate also.

Just don't put any Isopods in your soup, LOL!

Its really personal taste...I love bluefish when its bled, fresh and the lateral line is cut out...In fact its my favorite...others hate blue...Doggies are good deep fried, can't speak for skate.

Other fish that are considered good table fare...striper(rock), whiting(kingfish), croaker(hardhead), spot (tend to be small), blue and flounder...these are the most common in the suds. June is a great time for whiting catching...IMO, excellent table fare.

Personally, do not like croaker...too many bones unless you get a super size one...just my personal taste.

Its really personal taste...I love bluefish when its bled, fresh and the lateral line is cut out...In fact its my favorite...others hate blue...Doggies are good deep fried, can't speak for skate.

Other fish that are considered good table fare...striper(rock), whiting(kingfish), croaker(hardhead), spot (tend to be small), blue and flounder...these are the most common in the suds. June is a great time for whiting catching...IMO, excellent table fare.

Personally, do not like croaker...too many bones unless you get a super size one...just my personal taste.

How about black drums?

Forgot that one... personally...the smaller ones are good table fare...maybe 15lb's...They make excellent fish cakes. The ones in the bay that are huge are full of worms..pass on those.

Never ate a skate while sober,But some of the people target blowfish (northern puffer???),say the tail section taste like chicken.

Never ate a skate while sober,But some of the people target blowfish (northern puffer???),say the tail section taste like chicken.

Back in the 60's I would take every one that was caught. Wonderful table fare in my opinion. The skinnings the hard part. They will tear your hands up. Try cooking and eating a couple and you'll luv em too. Now days I've seen folks toss em as trash. They don't know what they are missing:angel7::angel7:

Skate are surprisingly tasty. The flavor is mild. The meat is slightly stringy but still tender. Dogfish are downright delicious if prepared properly. I'd recommend that everyone try both.

Hey Coop,

Maybe you can write up a good way to clean, soak and prepare a doggie. I've never tried to clean one and understand you need to clean them a certain way and soak them in lemon juice or milk or something.

I concur on the black drum, DEEEE-LICIOUS!!!

Never tried skate. Maybe Big Rad can describe how he cleans and cooks 'em as well....:icon_wink: