5 posts in this topic

Memorial Day Report

We Struck GOLD!

Although most anglers are chasing drum right now, we decided to embrace what we often take for granted…our deep dropping resource. My Memorial Day All-Star deep dropping crew consisted of Captain Skip Feller, Captain Darren Foster, and Sean Doran.

We pulled out of the Fishing Center at 0500, and headed east. It was an easy ride out to the Canyon with light southerly winds. Our first order of business was to add a blueline tilefish to Skip’s citation repertoire. The paper tasking took no time, and Skip was satisfied with his 10lb, 8oz blueline. We were then off to deeper water in search of grouper and goldens.

The first spot we tried for grouper quickly became tiresome, with rosies eagerly jumping on our large baits and hooks. These were nice-sized fish, with many pushing 3-pounds. I did manage to find a nice snowy grouper among the rosefish.

We headed for even deeper water for our last stop. I was not thrilled with dropping to almost 800 feet, but I was quickly rewarded with the first golden tilefish of the day. Next, we had a few doubles with Skip’s largest pushing 50-pounds. We had a blast!

We used squid and cut bait, and saw only 2 dogs all day!

Another great day on the water, with a great crew! :icon_wink:

julie-ball-tilefish-picture.jpg.ffc91c20

julie-ball-tilefish-picture-2.jpg.53f906

julie-ball-tilefish-picture-3.jpg.9b2bb9

julie-ball-tilefish-picture-4.jpg.a1f801

julie-ball-tilefish-picture-5.jpg.9ef10a

julie-ball-tilefish-picture-6.jpg.1ce437

julie-ball-tilefish-picture-7.jpg.79eba2

julie-ball-tilefish-picture-8.jpg.a72dc6

Memorial Day Report

We used squid and cut bait, and saw only 2 dogs all day!

That's striking Gold right there!:icon_rr:

Picked up a few tiles myself over the weekend, but not like the ones you got!

i've been seeing pics and hearing about your offshore bottom fishery up there...for a while i was sure that what you were calling snowies were really warsaws. NOT! and the tiles are crazy too! our snowys in NE FL are small(20# is the biggest i've seen). how far out of rudee is the norfolk canyon and do the tiles eat squid? thanks for the reports

..... and do the tiles eat squid? thanks for the reports

They eat squid just fine!

Wow! Great job. Julie, you make it look so easy holding up those big fish! :)