28 posts in this topic

:help:i would consider myself a surf fishing noob so i have to ask ... what kind of rig should i go with when i go striper hunting down at 3'Rs top/bottom? FF? what hook siza? circle? and also do you guys use float rigs when fishing for stripers? any info wold help me out alot i dont get to many chances to fish the surf so i want to make it count...thanks

i personally use a fish finder rig with 8/0 gami circle hook. No floats for me.

I typically use a fish finder rig with no floats also...with circle hooks from 7/0-12/0 with 80lb leader... i have seen top and bottom rigs thrown with 2 bunker heads and have seen success with that but i havent personally used it. hopefully this helps some and gl

thanks man belive it or not wal mart didnt have anything bigger than a 7/0 circle

SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL TACKLE SHOP! Mom and Pop tackle stores need your fishing buisness, when they go out of buisness because you buy your stuff at Wally World and the green roof where are you gonna buy your bait? THINK PEOPLE THINK

Easy oldmulletbreath...that wasn't the question or concern.

Anyway, I use at least 10/0 hooks...ortopus or j-style. On your ffinder rig...you don't need much length from the barrel swivel to the hook...maybe 6 inches. Cast your rods out to varying distances (short, medium, and long).

Get or make some sand spikes...and change your bait every 15 to 20 minutes.

Pretty much what the others say.

I use 20# running line to a uni to uni knot, them about 12' of 50# then a swivel to 3' of 80# with the coast snap holding a sinker. Then another swivel to whatever I am using for snelling, usually 3-6" of 80#, sometimes #5-9 Malin wire.

Just putting something out there to "think" about! Walmart sucks when it comes to sporting goods and people should support the locals not the stock holders.

I'm not trying to be a harda$$ here, just trying to get people to see that the little shops at the beach where you fish and buy your bait need your money more than the big impersonel stores. I/we spend two, three, four hundred dollars on custom rods and then we complain that the little shops charge tencents more for hooks. Little shops don't survive on selling just bait, We need them so we can buy bait, please support the little shops when you can.

CHEERS, AL

Back on topic please.

Any other questions CptHOOK?