6 posts in this topic

hit the HRBT this past weekend for some flounder fishing. Caught on average about 25 per trip. Out of all the fish i caught not one was a legal fish. i had a couple that where close but nothing for the dinner table. I also caught about 20 small blues. I went out three times this weekend for about four hours each trip. Even though i never landed a legal fish it was a blast and the weather was decent as well. The bait of choice was a 1/2 oz red or green jig with a pearl or green plastic redfish bait. i also had some luck on 1/4 oz bucktail jig with a twister tail on them.

Thanks for the report.

Are you using Gulp? I've started venturing into the bays looking for flounder and exploring the world beyond minnows and live spot.

Thanks for the report.

Are you using Gulp? I've started venturing into the bays looking for flounder and exploring the world beyond minnows and live spot.

Sam,

actualy i don't have any gulp. i've been using the assasin and redfish plastics as well as sassy shads, (green, white, blue). All weekend I pretty much trolled. Depending on the current/tide I used 1/4oz up to 1/2 oz red/green jig heads, sometimes bigger just to keep the bait bouncing on the bottom and keep the blues off them. I must have went through 3 bags of plasticks because half the time the blues would snap the tails off my baits before I could get them deep enough. I missed alot of fish but probly because they were to small for a 1/2oz jig. It seemed like the tides didn't matter, I caught them on low/high as well as out going and incomming. It's a bummer though to put in over 12 hrs of fishing time and to catch probly close to if not over 75 fish and not have one legal flounder. I think I had one that would have made it but the last minute head shake and he was gone :BangHead:. Do you know if late in the season if bigger fish move in???

That area around the bridge holds a ton of small Flounder with a few keepers mixed in but mainly it's shorts. The catch count is usually as good as what you experienced but the keeper ratio is always fairly low as well. Try fishing the deeper holes during the daylight hours and shallow at night. Live bait from my experiences will outproduce lures for the larger fish unless you sweeten your grub with a gudgeon on the same hook. JMHO

Live bait from my experiences will outproduce lures for the larger fish unless you sweeten your grub with a gudgeon on the same hook. JMHO

I concur!

Get yourself some spot or nice looking mullet and have at it for the bigger ones! Make sure you let them eat it!

That area is an estuary for smaller fish. It seem as that the whole are is an estuary or breeding ground for most species or at least a place for them to hang out and grow up before leaving in the fall,