6 posts in this topic

A day late and a dollar short. That pretty much sums it up. Friday and Saturday were absolutely fantastic gaffer dolphin fishing everywhere with a few tunas, hoos, makos, and marlin scattered in the mix.

I got a call on Saturday night to go offshore Sunday. We went out in a 35' center console and it was a pretty bumpy. The fishing was pretty slow for us and the general area we were in. The weed lines had broken up and turned into a cabbage patch. it was difficult to go anywhere without getting weeds on your line. took a lot of time and effort to constantly tend to them. we caught 4 gaffers and 4 tilefish.

The dolphin fishing never got hot where we were and we saw a nice little slick with some birds picking in it so we tried in the general area for some tuna for a little while.There were several other charter boats and greenstickers who had the same idea so after an hour or so trying to raise some tunas we left to go catch some tiles. only caught 4, 2 of which were tiny and tossed back.

I Don't know what was wrong today. It just seemed like nothing ever was going right for us. we still did better than a few, even with a pathetic catch like that. It sounded like there was a good bite within reach of the <acronym title="Virginia">VA</acronym> boats.

Ditto!

We came down Sat morning and heard of the bite....As we trolled in we lost one Mahi, then the water we were in just disappeared. We were in 72 and trying to figure out where everyone else was, but had no luck.

Late in the day we found the warm water, but weeds everywhere and could not get a good presentation. Had a decent tuna do a short strike on us and that was it.

Set up for swords and 10 minutes in, we got a quick run, but he dropped it, nothing else the rest of the night.

Sunday, we trolled for a few, but ended up working hard for a few tiles on the way back home. Manged about 15 tiles and one sea bass for the trip. We did have one nice 6'+ Blue shark as one of the guys was dropping a bait down and it must have hit him on the nose. Fought the blue on a jigging rod and it was fun to watch.

Did see one mako on the top cruising, but he did not want anything to do with us at the time.

Least we got some meat!

Did see one mako on the top cruising, but he did not want anything to do with us at the time.

one word..... harpoon. it just seemed like the last several days the bite was everywhere and anywhere so the "captain" decided on where to go and didnt put too much thought into it. I didnt agree with his choice but didnt vocalize it either. I just let him run the boat.

sounds like it's getting good for ya'll..good to hear it..sure would like to see some pics tho...weather has broke here so we'll be getting after em this week50lbbull42309001-1.jpggot this one last week

thats a nice one for sure. I need to take more pics. I just find it really hard to do when I am fishing. I get in my zone and really focused. taking pics usually breaks that focus. I forget my camera a lot too. I stuck it in my truck "just to make sure I brought it" and still forget to take it on the boat, lol.

Good luck out there guys! We have been spanking the gaffers! Our last few charters have come back with no less than 300 lbs of mahi some triggers and a sailfish! We are gearing up for the Big Rock next week....if you are down there stop by and say hi! We are at Hatteras Landing first slip on the right! Tight lines!!!