8 posts in this topic

Guys:

I have been reading this site religiously in preparation of my Assateague trip next weekend.

I have two Shimano Baitrunner reels, the 4500 and the 6500. But I feel ambivalent about using the baitrunner feature - so far I've had better luck leaving the baitrunner feature off, at least for bluefish in the <ACRONYM title="New York"><ACRONYM title="New York">NY</ACRONYM></ACRONYM> Bay. Plus, I enjoy seeing the rod bent in half when the fish hits.

Do you guys use the baitrunner feature to fish at <ACRONYM title="Assateague Island"><ACRONYM title="Assateague Island">AI</ACRONYM></ACRONYM>? Any pros and cons?

Also, those of you who have caught rockfish at <ACRONYM title="Assateague Island"><ACRONYM title="Assateague Island">AI</ACRONYM></ACRONYM>, how far (on average) do you cast?

I know the cast length is dependent on the particular beach feature, but can you give me a ballpark?

I am a short (unskilled) caster...:-(((((

thx

wojtek

The beach pros will shime in, for sure. IMO, you are a lot more likely to run into many things larger than a NY bluefish while surf fishing here. I have a Baitrunner and use it when I surf-fish, and I really like the baitrunner feature because I don't have to worry about a 50 lb. ray, 30 lb. striper, or a big shark running off with my rod and reel while I'm distracted by the ponies or biting bugs.

The beach pros will shime in, for sure. IMO, you are a lot more likely to run into many things larger than a <ACRONYM title="New York"><ACRONYM title="New York">NY</ACRONYM></ACRONYM> bluefish while surf fishing here. I have a Baitrunner and use it when I surf-fish, and I really like the baitrunner feature because I don't have to worry about a 50 lb. ray, 30 lb. striper, or a big shark running off with my rod and reel while I'm distracted by the ponies or biting bugs.

Point taken.

Without baitrunner and with a tight drag I can see how a big fish can rip out the rod, reel and the sand spike out of the sand.

Of course one could always set the drag loosely, but then why not use the baitrunner instead?

Hopefully the beach pros will chime in.

Thanks

w

Guys:

I have been reading this site religiously in preparation of my Assateague trip next weekend.

I have two Shimano Baitrunner reels, the 4500 and the 6500. But I feel ambivalent about using the baitrunner feature - so far I've had better luck leaving the baitrunner feature off, at least for bluefish in the <acronym title="New York"><acronym title="New York"><acronym title="New York">NY</acronym></acronym></acronym> Bay. Plus, I enjoy seeing the rod bent in half when the fish hits.

I still fish with two rods with bait runners and still enjoy them, what I do is set the bait runner drag lose enough but not to lose so when the fish takes the bait there is enough tension to set the hook and let the fish run but not take to much line. The main drag I set so the tension is tight enough to let me fight the fish as I would as any other time.

Also, those of you who have caught rockfish at <acronym title="Assateague Island"><acronym title="Assateague Island"><acronym title="Assateague Island">AI</acronym></acronym></acronym>, how far (on average) do you cast?

That's all up to the fish if they are running up close some times all you have to do is cast past the shore break other times you want to try and get passed the outer bar..

I have 3 baitrunners best feature ever as far as I'm concerned use it all the time

well I don't really use spinners in the surf, but when I am fishing off a pier or need to go to a backup spinning reel in the surf I LOVE my baitrunner reels.

The baitrunner function is great for walking your rods back to the spike!

I gotta agree with that,I like the bait runners,WHITTLINDEN

I am a conventional kind of guy, but have a 3500 4500 and 6500 baitrunners. I think I have got more drum on a baitrunner than I have on conventioals in MD.

I DO NOT use the secondary drag system on the baitrunners when fishing for larger stripers and drum. Reason being, the secondary drag system is not enough drag to keep a large fish from spooling you before you get to the rod. If you have ever seen a drum run or a striper run, you know what I mean. I keep my primary drag set loose, not so loose that it will pull the rod down, or spool me, but just enough drag for the fish to set the hook itself. This way you will get the "bent rod" effect you like so muck.

For trout, I love the secondary drag system, because trout bite so different than other fish. The light drag works well there.