4 posts in this topic

I hope no one was planning on going to this area to fish.

Whale washes ashore near Dewey Beach

The (Salisbury, <ACRONYM title=Maryland>Md</ACRONYM>.) Daily Times • May 20, 2009

A 50,000-pound Sei Whale has washed ashore in Delaware Seashore State Park south of Dewey Beach, officials said.

Suzanne Thurman, executive director of the Marine Education Research & Rehabilitation Institute, Inc., said the whale was reported by a beachgoer on Conquest Road this afternoon.

The 37-foot juvenile male has been dead for days, she said, noting that she and her volunteers are now on site collecting samples to determine the cause of death. Tractors are on site to move the animal, which is still rolling in the surf.

According to Thurman, the species is considered a large whale and is a member of the Baleen family.

"This is the first (whale of this size) that has been stranded," she said. " We'll be here for hours."

According to Thurman, Sei whales typically reach 57 feet and about 70,000 pounds.

50,000 lbs and JUVENILE!!!!!!!

I think I need bigger baits!

When they buried the last one that washed up in Bethany, that think stunk all summer.

I found a dead whale last night at the IRI Jetty. Well its head anyway. Its still laying out on the sand. I marked it with a piece of wood.