149 posts in this topic

Wanted to start a specific thread for fishing reports in Rehoboth Bay/Canal and Indian River Bay/Inlet as well as Masseys Ditch. I fish weekly there and will post my results. I urge others to do the same. Maybe we can learn something from one another.

Fished today. Great weather.

Drifted Masseys Ditch and IR Bay outside Masseys on outgoing tide with no luck. Headed over to VFW Slough until slack tide and caught 1 skate.

Used Double jig and big eye jig with minnows and gulp.

Didn't see anyone catch anything all morning.

Heading down Friday morning to fight the crouds all weekend. Hopefully we catch some fish!

Fished off the bulk head with minnows and fish bites. NOTHING! Too much traffic I think.

Nobody caught anything else either. Weather was warm windy and kinda overcast on Sunday the 24th.

Fished IR bay for about 5 hours on outgoing tide on Sunday May 24 with my 2 sons. Used keely's and caught 2 throw back flounder about 17" each and 3 blues.

Lots of fishing this past holiday weekend... started out slow and finished with a bang!

Friday - Drifted just out of Masseys in IR Bay along with about 10 other boats. Caught a huge stingray... garbage,but a good fight. Didn't catch anything else and didn't see anyone else reel in. Using Minnows.

Saturday - Drifted same spot and wife caught a skate. Nothing else, just 20 other boats not catching anything either... moved to the sandbar drift on the Rehoboth Bay side of Masseys. No luck there either... saw one boat catch a throwback founder. Using minnows and 4" GULP

Sunday - Drifted both spots with not even a bite!

Sunday night (our luck changed!!!) - Headed to IR Inlet at dusk and caught a great SHAD run. Pulled in a dozen nice 12" - 15" shad on ultralight tackle with small rapala trebble hook top lures...fun throwbacks! As it got dark we moved to the coast guard marina opening and the blues were going mad for the top lures. Pulled in 10+ in the 12" range. Used a 1/4 oz white bucktail with a white grub to land 3 short stripers 18" - 22".

Fished till the tide slacked and started going out after midnight. The outgoing tide was raging fast and the stripers showed up under the light at the Coast Guard piont. Put on a 6" Glow in the Dark STORM lure and nailed two 24" stripers, 1 20" striper and a nice 10lb 29" KEEPER!!! at 1:30am. *(we also used live eel and black bucktails with no luck)*

I will post a pick of the keeper soon.

2 week break and I will be back at it.

Anyone have any luck in the Bays this past weekend?

Heading down Sunday. Fishing Lewis Canal and Rosevelt Inlet. Gonna try the inner rock wall if its calm. Heading to IR Inlet for sunset and full moon stripers at night!!!!

Will post results on Monday.

Anyone else??? Or does everyone on this forum only fish from the beach?

Thanks for the reports!

There have been numerous people talking and asking about the <ACRONYM title="Indian River Inlet">IRI</ACRONYM>, the threads are in the <ACRONYM title=Delaware>DE</ACRONYM> section scattered around.

You can be assured that they are reading your posts and learning from them....

I read them, but you can rest assured that I'll be paying close attention come the last week of july, first week of august and will be posting reports come the second week

Fished IRI Jetty Last Night Several Large stripers were caught on 5 inch Storm Lures. I noticed tons of shad and Rock flipping around the Coast Gaurd station inlet Under the big lights.

I also found a dead baby whale head on the beach. Its right next to the Jetty. I stuck a piece of wood up in the sand to mark it. I wanted to take it home, but figured Id probably get in trouble of having a whale skull on my wall.

Report from Sunday 6/7.

Lewis - Fished Rosevelt Inlet Sunday afternoon not even a bite. Moved in and drifted the canal and caught 7 throwback flounder on minnows.

Got to IR Inlet at 9:30pm... THE Coast Guard Light was OUT!!!! Drifted the center for a while with no luck until the tide started going out. Saw some action at the Coast Guard marina. Hung out there till 3am catching tons of fish! 12 Stripers, 22 Blues and 28 Shad. Using a light tackle bass rod with 6lb line and 2" to 3" small trebble top water lures. Super fun, but NO KEEPERS. A huge striper 20 lb + grabbed one of my lures and spun out 50 yards of line and took the lure. :(

I hope the flounder fishing gets better. Heading down again next week.

Anyone catching any keeper flounder in the bays???

hit the vfw slough last sunday on outgoing tide using flounder rigs n squid with no luck, buddy got a 20" flattie in rehoboth bay somewhere. neighbor in our campground got a couple keeper flatties in southside jetty area on outgoing also.

Heading down Monday morning to do some flounder fishin at the VFW Slough during the day and hope to be in the IR Inlet for incoming & outgoing tide under a new moon!

Will post results when I get back.

Praying for better weather.

~ECX

Hi there--

I have been told by some very nice folks at local bait and tackle shops that buoy five and the area around Quillen's point are nice fishing spots in the IR bay. Aside from the inlet and Masseys can anyone suggest other areas to try in the IR and Rehoboth bay? Thank you for help.

Had some good fishing last week... here is the report:

Monday night - Under the lights at IR Inlet Coast Guard Station - 12 Stripers, 6 Shad, 23 Blues. Largest Striper 25" Largest Blue 20" using live spot, 6" storm lures and crankbaits.

spotted 2 huge stingrays swiming under the lights at least 6' wide plus!!

Tuesday afternoon - 3 small flounder drifting around the island at masseys

Wednesday afternoon - 7 flounder drifting minnows from Rehoboth Bay into Masseys ditch. all throwbacks but 1. Ate him for dinner!

Wednesday night - Fished under the lights again with good action on Short Stripers, Blues and a few shad. Chased a 4' shark around at the point for a while with no luck. Caught an oyster cracker on a live spot on the bottom... weird.

Water temps are getting into the 70's, and from what I hear, the large stripers have headed north.

Still looking for that really good inshore flounder spot with some bigger fish. Any help????

Heading down again over the 4th weekend. Hopefully it won't be too crouded! Will report when I return!

Sunday, June 28, 2009

We were fishing the Indian River Inlet bay area and caught one keeper flounder, several throw-back flounder and a shark.

The shark was larger than what is listed for a dogfish shark and we couldn't get it in the boat. It was approximately 6 to 7 feet long.

We drove the boat around for nearly 1/2 hour following the line so he didn't empty my spool. I had a light tackle rod with 15lb test ~ thinking I was fishing for flounder or blues.

This monster hooked up in 5 feet of water and took of running. After quite the battle we finally got it along side the boat, but didn't have the right tools to get it into the boat.

Unfortunately there were only two of us and I was busy holding the rod to keep the tension on it while he was driving the boat following it around the bay. Neither one of grabbed the camera to take a picutre before it took off. We got it to the boat, it showed us his white belly, and then decided it had had enought and took off. Unfortunately the light tackle broke this time and there was no time to take a picture.

Lots of fun though!!

Any ideas on what kind of shark it could've been?

What hook/bait setup did you hook the shark on? Where excactly in the bay did you hook up with it and what time of day? tide?

I am very interested in that big of a shark in that area.

Your post is a little vague as to what kind it could be. But there are a lot of big dogfish around in the 3 to 5 foot range, averaging 5 to 50 pounds or more. They have sandpaper teeth however. So if you were flounder fishing and not using wire, and you fought a large shark for that long, it was probobally a dogfish / sandshark. If you had a "toothy" shark that frequents the area, such as a sandbar, dusky, or sandtiger, it probobally would have bitten you off very quickly.

well here we go my son and I went out with a friend mine boat yesterday fishing I.R. inlet manage two flounder one short and one keeper at 20 inches lot of boats out there nice day for fishing sorry don't have pictures d one yet will post them when done O yea caught the big one on gulp shrimp . PS. HAPPY FOURTH TO ALL AND GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS.:brave::icon_pidu:

Saturday, July 18th was a beeeeutiful day for fishing!

The croaker were hitting hard. Every time we put our line in the water we got a hit.

We were using minnows at first, but then switched to the gulp bait and we were catching two at a time.

Looking at the fishing calendar, they're not due to hit until August. Did they come in early or is this just a tease for what's coming in August?

My entire family is going to be down for a week in August and I would love my granddaughters to catch some croakers. They would have a blast!

Went fishing last Wed. 7/23.

Started the day off near Masseys in Rehoboth Bay. Caught over 30 nice size 1 to 2 pound croakers on a jighead with GULP. Landed a few small flounder as well... Got spooled on my lightweight tackle 3 times... think it was Stingrays.

Headed over to VFW late morning to try and get a keeper flounder with no luck.

Drove the boat to Lewes and drifted by the new public boat ramp and hooked into a 50+lb Cownose Stingray! After a 30 minute fight drifting by myself I brought the monster on the boat. No dinner fish, but man was it fun! He spooled me 3 times 150 yards and ran me around my boat 4 times.

Headed back to Masseys late afternoon and caught more Croaker, small flounder and hooked into a huge Striper and lost him. :( He jumped a foot out of the water so I at least got to see him. I would say 40" . Got him on a huge spot and circle hook... the hook went back into the spot and didnt catch the stripers mouth and he spit it out after a good 5 minute fight. I had no idea Striper that big were back there!

Docked the boat and hopped the ferry to night fish with some friends in Cape May. All night on a new moon and the only bites I got was from the bugs all over my legs... New Jersey Sucks!

2 weeks off and I will be back at it. Keep the bay posts comin'!

Great story!<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>

Did you get to see any of the dolphins (porpoise) in the bay and the huge sea turtle? A big school of dolphin swam past several boats that were drifting near <ACRONYM title="Indian River Inlet"><ACRONYM title="Indian River Inlet">IRI</ACRONYM></ACRONYM>. We managed to get a short video on our camera, but I haven't figured out how to upload a video yet.<o:p></o:p>

Fishing wasn't that good for us, but we're newbies. Saw a guy reeling in flounder after flounder while we were sitting there wiping the sweat from our foreheads. <o:p></o:p>

Think I'm gonna give pink a try. <?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /><v:shapetype id=_x0000_t75 stroked="f" filled="f" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" o:preferrelative="t" o:spt="75" coordsize="21600,21600"><v:stroke joinstyle="miter"></v:stroke><v:formulas><v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"></v:f></v:formulas><v:path o:connecttype="rect" gradientshapeok="t" o:extrusionok="f"></v:path><o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"></o:lock></v:shapetype><v:shape id=_x0000_i1025 style="WIDTH: 18.75pt; HEIGHT: 15pt" alt="0" type="#_x0000_t75"><v:imagedata o:href="http://www.atlanticanglers.com/images/smilies/angel1.gif" src="file:///C:\DOCUME~1\BSWEIK~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtml1\01\clip_image001.gif"></v:imagedata></v:shape>:angel1:<o:p></o:p>

Caught a clam shell with a surprise inside ~ <o:p></o:p>

clam2.JPG.7ec6c56f01d2a7338701c0a0b118e1

Rookie salt water angler here. Been catching bass all of my life but this salt water stuff is new. I have fished a total of 3 times around the areas i have read about in reports and on this site. Caught a total of 35 flounder or so, only ONE keeper. Is this ratio way off?? Using gulp and live minnow mostly. Would one of you be so kind to explain exactly where the VFW slough is? i have received some rough directions but can not quite pin it down. I think i have fished right in the middle of it but not sure. long/lat would be a big help.

thanks

I got out for an hour last night. I had planned on doing some night fishing, but when I got to the ramp I noticed that my electric cord had popped out and I was missing my 5way flat to 7 way round adapter.:angry5:

I launched and decided I'd fish for an hour. I took a few drifts through the inlet right around high tide and started bagging snapper blues right and left.

I cruised back to the bottom of RB to get away from the blues. I drifted for about 20 minutes and got this nice 21" fish on a whole salted mullet.

I hated to leave, but I knew I'd better make it home before dark w/t no trailer lights.

DSCN0647.jpg.93a964e9da1092a69857cbaadbf