18 posts in this topic

Me again !, When can I expect the spades to show up at the cbbt ? Is it a water temp thing or a jelly fish , full moon , spawn or what ?:fish:REALLY looking forward to it yum yum

there geting to the lite tower so im shure it will be soon ...............

What is the best way to catch spades. Its one fish Ive never caught. Ive seen them follow other fish i pull up to the boat, but never caught one. Ive heard that chumming with clam and clam on a small hook is the way to do it. Is this the best way?

Here is another way get spades and triggers when the bite is slow.This is my buddy Bryant, I threw him overboard and told him could not get back on till he had dinner for us.

IMGA0122-1.jpg

At the CLT we usually use clam on a small hook (some claim red ones work better). They can get kinda skittish, so tying on some flouro does help IMO. Usually try to go without the lead, but sometimes to get it deep quicker I will use a small split shot or something to get it down.

I've also heard gummy bears work too ? clam works too good on these tasty tuff guys to try anything else. love the spectacular battles these guys give even the smallest ones are battlers bluegils are not the same after that!!

I always use #1 red hooks. or #1 black hooks. Spade fish do get spooked pretty easily. also we always use clam. I have had good luck on fresh and frozen clam.picture.php?albumid=95&pictureid=902

Ask Julie Ball ,She set a IGFA record for spadefish,and is always helpfull.

at the light tower anchor up on the up current side of the tower, let your anchor line out untill the rear of your boat is about 15-20ft from the tower. we've always used clam. small piece of the clam "foot" on a small red hook. the rest of the clam is real soft and doesn't always stay on the hook, this can be used to attract them in your direction...

i use two feet of fluro with a small split shot above the swivel if they are deeper, no split shot if they are closer to the surface. main line i like to use 30 or 40lb braid. some people use floats, set the depth for where you see them swimming. i like to toss it out and let it drift with the current up to the tower, then repeat.

i use braid because of the tower, the big ones will sometimes run you striaght into it and the braid gives you a better chance of pulling the spade back out.

some people will take the first spade they catch and run fluro through his gill and tie him off to the rear cleat, this will usually cause the rest of the spades to swarm the back of your boat which can be fun...

later in the summer when they come in the bay they feed mainly on the little jelly fish, they are usually harder to catch in the bay, but this is when ive seen people use, gummy bears, plastic, etc, etc.

light tackle is very fun, they fight hard, ive always thought of them as fighting like a 12lb bluegill on crack.

one thing to keep in mind, when they are biting good, especially on the weekends, the CLT will be a parking lot. keep in mind whats going on around you and other boats, if you decide to re-position the boat someone will most likely try to snake your spot. also, you will get close to other boats, ive seen people use the dock bumper things if there is a good swell.

good luck! here is one from last year of Matt and I.

spade.jpg.b2412b9ed62e388225cb81b2b44598

Thanks for the info man. How long do they stay at the light before they move up the bay? Im still waiting to get my boat back from BPS and then im going to hit them hard.

they should be there for a while....then they will be around around the CBBT and other spots...

I was told today by some friends that the spades have shown up at the cell. They weren't feeding yet but there here!! If they have shown up there i would imagine you could have some nice catches at Plantation Light.

I've heard that there were some spade fish being caught at the CBBT