7 posts in this topic

I'm use to fishing off the long peir down in Luis, Delaware. However the bridge is currently in disaray resulting in a large portion of it being sectioned off. My last visit there wasn't to pleasant due to the pier being to cramped.

So I'm looking for new places to fish. I don't really venture out on my own since my step dad showed me most of the places I know.

I usually try to plan fishing trips around this time for friends and myself around this time, so I need some place that's equally distanced for everyone since most live in New Castle, DE, while some live in Maryland.

Indian river inlet would be a great place to start. So many different opportunities there it isn't even funny.

Have you considered the Indian River Inlet or Fenwick Island State Park?

*LOL Jim, if I didn't do an edit, I would have beat ya!

Last I was aware pier at Cape Henlopen is totally closed. It is "scheduled" to reopen this Friday in time for the Holiday Crowds. I would agree Indian River Inlet is a good place to wet a line, just a different type of fishing with the tides/current to deal with. A smaller version with great fishing also at times is Roosevelt Inlet, North of the Pier In Lewes Can also fish from the beach in area's around the pier. Nice fishing from the public beach in Lewes at times also just go north or south during swimming periods... Lots of good fishing spots, don't be afraid to try different ones.........just keep the line wet.

Good Fishing

Wow, didn't know they had completely closed it. Did they close it for repairs, and if so does that mean the entire thing with be useable again?

As far as the Indian river inlet, are there any specific areas, or just anywhere I can throw a line?

Indian River Inlet (IRI), has a lot of area you can fish from. Its important to be safe there and follow the tides. You'll need some korkers or golf shoes (anything w/ metal spikes on the soles) to get a grip on the wet rocks...depending on where you fish.

As a rule of thumb...if the tide is incoming, the Northwest side will have the most action. On an outgoing tide, the southeast side usually holds the most fish. It all depends on where the fish "stack up" to position themselves for feeding...or for bait to flow into their mullets. This is true for Bluefish and Resident stripers that are in the area. You can find short Stripers year round, bluefish throughout the year, and some Trout, croaker, etc....That said, Tog fishing is big at IRI...which I do not have much experience with. this kind of fishing is kind of "finesse" fishing, close in to the rocks, with sand fleas or crabs. IRI has a lot of snags / structure...so it takes a while to get used to. I'd go there and watch others....see what they are doing and if they are catchin...watch the posts on this site or the "At The Beach" fishing report by Sue Foster...and put your time in.

That river doesn't happen to go to pass under the t Georges bridge in Delaware City does it? If so, I think I've been there already than.