13 posts in this topic

I have yet to catch a striper at night!!!!! I think I have caught a fair share of them when you consider the areas I fish. But never at night. And it isn't because of not trying at night.

My best time is a couple hours before sunset till about sunset and sunrise to a couple hours after.

Am I the only one who hasn't caught them at night?????

Well Randy it looks like I will be here all week and next weekend too so I will have to go out and break the streak!

I have the opposite effect. I can't seem to catch them in the day time. Most of my stripers have come right about when the sun went down and I was just putting glow sticks on my rods.

I think the key is just sticking it out. When i'm committed to fishing the entire night, and leaving at daybreak, i catch fish....provided there are fish to catch.

I'm no old fishing sage, or anything like that, but the best advice for night fishing i can offer is to stay comfortable. If your comfortable, you'll keep fishing, and increase your chances of catching. the most comfortable set up for me is

---breathable waders, with a non cotton underlayer...coldgear when it's cold, convertable pants when it's warm(er). Neoprene waders, for me, are a NO NO, for long stints. They keep your feet sweat on your socks, and you're feet will get cold...this is a killer, you'll be packing it in, or fishing a personal hell with frozen feet.

---long sleeve Non cotton top, same deal as pants. Bring and extra one too, to change it if you need. Tops get you at the sleeves, they get wet when you rinse off your hands in the surf...or if your releasing a fish. then it wicks up, and you catch a chill.

-- Some kind of Shell. I don't have a dry-top but it's on the wish list. I use a North face ski shell, thats more than 10 years old. the sleeves strap shut, and it keeps the Moisture(thats in the late night air) off of your base layer. keeping your whole body temp regulated, meaning having the same layers on top as on bottom, is more comfy than having waders, and a tee-shirt, for instance. Unbalanced is bad, IMO

-- try to be clean. THis is a personal thing, but i keep a few gallons of water at the ready to rinse hands, reels, make coffee, or whatever. then use some hand sanitizer. Over time, bunker caked hands wear me down. The reels get disgusting, and it adds to the discomfort. being overly gross, is just another nail in the coffin for packing it in.

-- I fish conventional reels mostly, so i'll tighten down on the tension, or put the slower brakes in, to keep from blowing them up in the dark. When your sleepy, you're fishing gets sloppy. If I have gear problems in the wee hours, i get pretty frustrated, and am more likely to call it quits. So toning down the casts, and NOT WADING as much, makes for easier and safer fishing at night.

-- Stay out of the wind. Orient your vehicle (as best you can) so that a tire will block the wind, then sit or stand out of the wind. I will take the 928374 more nightly steps to the bait cooler if needed, if i can do the vigil out of the wind. You will HEAR everything without the wind blowing past your ears.

--when night really sets in, everything gets wet. Keeping the windows up, and the vehicle closed, is key a lot of times. If a storm or something passes over, you want your vehicle interior dry, for refuge. Also the papertowels, or TP, or extra clothes you brought will be soaked. this can be the icing on the cake to a bad night. It really sucks when you've got everything packed up and go to throw on some dry comfy clothing for the trip home, and its all wet.

Lastly, I call it PUNTING> when you've just about had it fatigue-wise, put on all heads, move the rods closer to your chair, and zone out for a bit. hopefully the drags wake you up. This kind of 20 or 30 minute re-charge can work wonders, and i do it usually around 3am.

wow this is long, sorry, but I've spent more than a few hellish nights out there getting skunked, because i was pre-occupied with how Cold/wet/irritated i was.

Hey Jeepcreep that is all good information! Right now I can't take advantage of most of it though. No 4wd. I take only what I can carry on my beach cart and that is all. So far my record is 72 hours in the open on the beach.

No water to wash hands, nothing to block the wind, no comfortable chair for me.:angry5: I fish pretty hard, I can throw a flat in 1 1/2 days. If the crabs are bad I can pitch a flat of heads in a day.

Scotch gets me thru those cold wet nights.:icon_syda:

I guess I will get a striper in the dark sometime.....Gonna give it a good shot this week and into the weekend.

Hey Jim we should team up! I'll get 'em during the day and you get 'em during the night!

Phil, those locations you fish are deep water spots. Not to say fish won't move in with the dark but they don't need to as they and the bait they are hunting will feel more protected in deep water during high sun conditions. Move south to skinnier water and the opposite will be true in my experience.

Yea Ben I hear you. I just can't cover enough area by walking. Possible in the deeper areas the fish are in REALLY close? Gonna have to give that a shot this week. I usually throw three rods but I think I will bring a fourth and put a big head on it and just lob it over the breakers once dark sets in....

bingo Phil, had em bumping into me one night down south...they were thigh deep. At least I hope they were fish and not sharks.

Scotch!?! How could i have forgotten that?

I'd have to agree with Chark. I feel like the fish i catch in the dark, are cruising by the structure, and stop to poke around a few hours, then leave.

I have yet to catch a striper at night!!!!! I think I have caught a fair share of them when you consider the areas I fish. But never at night. And it isn't because of not trying at night.

My best time is a couple hours before sunset till about sunset and sunrise to a couple hours after.

Am I the only one who hasn't caught them at night?????

THat's been my experience also although I have never spent an entire night on the beach

funny...but most of my fish have been in the dark wee hours. I get all excited putting on my glow sticks and hunkering down. I always cast one right in the suds with some major weight and a big chunk/head soas not to get tossed around too much...figuring a biggun will come in close under the protection of the night.

A note....when pulling in your baits in the evening.....or anytime for that matter....when your Terminal tackle gets into the suds...keep your rod tip to the left or the right of you, and not straight up. that way if it "releases" all of a sudden, it doesn't come flying back towards you but instead to your left or your right....maybe hits your buddy but not you(hee hee)...especially in the night. My .02

This is a good thread... Jeepcreep, excellent information you shared here about making it though the night. From the reports page it looks like you were well rewarded for your midnight efforts recently too... Congrats!

Esox, if you can walk on and spend 72 hours actively fishing on the sand... you are more than hardcore in my book. I hope you get that cow striper this weekend, you've earned it!