Steve

Summer Sharking

4 posts in this topic

Nice Steve!!!!

I am counting the days till sharkin season!:blob1::blob1::blob1::blob1:

gonna get a bug suit this year and do battle with the bigguns!

Yep, I am starting to gear up!

Even though I failed miserably last year in a kayak I went ahead and got myself a kayak to learn to take baits out. I am already thinking about how I am going to improve my shark rigs from last year since i seemed to get bit off much more than I should have been!

I am going to make a few 30 to 50 class tuna rods because I only have 1 rod that is suitable for yakked out baits. All my other rods are 13 foot surf rods. I think I found a place where i can get some cheap glass blanks for 20 or 30 dollars.

I can't wait! Shark fishing is my favorite time of year!

I'll start in the middle of June yaking...not necessarily for shark (a little early) but maybe a cobia, red, or a late season striper but I will not complain if its a shark. I really can't wait till the middle of July...really looking forward to some shark action.

I got 4 this past summer. I used my LB to paddle out bait past the sandbar. I was really impressed reeling in shark! They run toward, then away, then toward, then away. Just a fun fish to catch. Learning the release is important. On my first shark there was a guy who could tell i was green, he just walked over and showed me how to grip them. I was looking at my leader material today just thinking how lucky we are to be able to just go out to our beach and catch shark. My fishing buddies in NJ and MA get striper all summer. But their teeth don't cause fear.