12 posts in this topic

I scored what I thought was a great deal at BPS yesterday and since I was going to use circles anyway I picked them up. I got 12 16/0 and 15/0 mustad circle hooks for about .85 a piece, bought everyone they had. I was planning on dropping much more cash then that on chark hooks.

From you guys that have done it, how do you lengthen the gap in the hook. These look really tight for a chark, do I need to heat it up and then bend it or will that weaken the hook?

oh, I'm altering them tonight so I'll take some pictures of the process. Including the part where I forget the hook is hot and pick it up and brand myself.

I just use a vise grip. Clench the hook in the teeth of a flat jaws vise grip. Then squeeze. It takes some muscle to get em to bend. Just little bit at a time. I found the part of the hook where the bend just starts, when running down the shank from the eye, and squeezed until I felt the metal just barely bend, or the vise grip clamped completely against the hook. If it didnt bend, I tighten the vise grip slightly. Then move down the hook, onto the bend, another 1/16 inch and repeat, untill hook is opened enough for your preference. I like em when they are opened so the metal is all but paralell and the hook tip is all that is pointed inwards... :v:

Im guessing that by bending the circle outwards does not alter its effectiveness :?:

yeah, deff post some pics of this, maybe Im not completly clear on this. I would have thought that someone(manufactory) would already done this :?:

I think the obvious solution is to buy bigger hooks with a wider gap. At 16/0 I don't know that that's necessary. The only problem I can see with sharks vs other fish is that they tend to not close their chompers since they are ram breathers. It's a whole lot easier to sink a circle into something that picks up bait and tries to run with it and only has a line coming out their closed mouth...with the chark you need him to run either flat away from you or at least at better then 90 degrees to you after the pickup to get the circle in right. My thinking in opening it up I increase my odds in the event charky wants to run down the beach. If I didn't care about a good release I'd J hook em anyway. I want to have a leg up and be comfortable with the circles when DNR makes them mandatory...-5 years I bet.

I did the same thing that chomper did to open the the hook, worked great. The only other thing I did was twiked the hooks point either left or right of the hook shank just to give it a little offset.

Charks head for the deep water, here it would be a freight train towards Spain.

Noticed the same thing in the south, they head straight out.

But, there will always be some that run the beach.....

leader project...hope I did these right.

I split between coated and uncoated to see if there is a difference in them picking up the bait. I'm going to leave the hook as they are and see how it goes. I'm fishing all night all week so I should have the chance to experiment. I'll also have a way to open them up if I need to. Basically once I miss one I'll be opening the circles up or swapping for J's if it gets out of control.

On the 16/0 I used a 8-10ft coated 380lb braided cable but I had to strip the coating to get my sleves on the ends. I'm going to electrical tape the sleves and top of the hooks to reduce the exposed metal. Heard about the aussies doing this for the big stuff...can't hurt. I have 15-20 ft weedeater line attached to that and is swiveled in the middle. I'll drop a brick or two off the swivel to hold bottom. I'm thinking of rigging it with 10-20lb test so that in the event of a good fight/fish the mono will just break leaving the weight. Two of the rigs have a double hook setup I saw on another site (gasp).

I have 4 15/0 setups on 10ft 120lb braided uncoated cable. These will be for smaller charks and hopefully can be casted, if not I'll yak them out too. If the coated leader is getting picked up I'll tape these too and let you know how it goes and if there is anything to the myth.

05_08_06_2005_152.jpg.98db9cd67dedbba6dd

05_08_06_1927_653.jpg.bf65b0acef66fe7b6a

05_08_06_1916_919.jpg.a1247293825450bb9c

05_08_06_1912_140.jpg.a239f04ba9b773ce80

sorry, posted the pics in reverse order.

Nice looking rigs. Lots better to do them at home rather than at the sand. Sure wish I could have found them at BPS. Did ya go to Arundel? Can ya give me a pert # so I can ask them to order more?

With the pics, Load the one you want to show first, last. I did the mess up too....