5 posts in this topic

Weekend shore report -

Hit the De. beach for the Sring tourney on Sat. Fished the 3Rs area. Water was a bit off color but not bad. Wind was out of the SW for the most part.

Using bluefish rigs didn't seem to be the ticket. On either side of me was watching small skates and doggies being pulled in. They were using FF rigs with chunck and cut bait. After about 2 with no pullage, I decided what they hey, and put on some FF rigs to at least get some pullage from the skates and doggies. Heard there was a good turn out and that several very nice rock fish were pulled out of the surf below me. All in all it was a great time and nice to be out in the suds.

Sun. we fishingirlpa and I headed down to Wachapreague. Stopped by Capt. Steve's in Chincoteague and talked with Jimmy. Great guy he is and he gave us the scoop on what was going on and what was working. He also showed off some of his handy work on his modified FF rigs. They were sweet looking.

Figured we'd go and stop at AI while there and take a look at things. Jimmy showed up shortly to do a little fishing. While we were there we chatted with Gunter who said he had gotten two already that afternoon. We found out that shortly after we had left, Jimmy had gotten a decent fish too.

Finally made it down to Wachapreague late Sun. Jig-jig-thump and Yaz showed up bright and early Mon. morning. After getting some gear loaded into the boat we headed out. We were at the end of high and the beginning of the outgoing. We fished around #136 and found a hole with a few fish in it. We managed our first keeper (+19") in only about a half an hour. Water temp was about +65°. We fished the area for a bit and decided to head to the Bull head, Green and Drawing channels. Picking up keepers as we went. We fished this are for the rest of the day and managed 11 keepers between the three of us. Yaz even managed a 20" puppy drum. Two other members of the party met us out in the channels. They managed a few keepers themselves. The water was a bit off colored with visibility only about 18". Light rain fell occasionally with a SW wind of about 10kts. Once the tide switched to the incoming, the water seemed to clear a bit and the winds died down. It turned out to be a perfect evening to end our day. The last member of the party and fishinggirlpa were there to great us at the dock when we returned. Over the course of the day we managed to boat over 120 fish between the three of us. Most of the fish were just shy of the 19" minimum. It really hurt having to release untold numbers of 17" to 18.75" fish. But the rules are the rules.

The hot baits were a plastic firetiger double twister tail/ 4" gulp white shrimp pattern/4" Gulp natural color shrimp pattern/7" white BAs. All jigs were fished on 1/2oz. to 1oz jigs. The big trick was that Jig-jig-thump had rigged a battery trolling motor to the bow. This enabled us to use his verticle jigging method to keep our baits in the spot we wanted while being able to maintain great boat control despite the wind and tide.

Tues. we headed out once again. We pretty much fished the same tide again. Water clarity was about 18". Water temp had dropped a degree or two over night to about +63°. Sunny skies with winds over 12kts. We started at #136 again fishing the channel edge. We managed three keepers in about an hour. Jig-jig-thump managed to nail a nice +25" flounder on his firetiger rig also. After a bit we decided to try a different area and head towards the Big Thorough Fare and the Hummock. We fished these areas for a bit without much to talk about. After enjoying the calm water of this area and enjoying lunch, we headed for the Drawing channel. There were a few boats already working the area when we arrived. The wind was nasty out in this area and was probably close, if not over +15kts, but with the use of the trolling motor we were able to work the area thoroughly. We nailed fish as soon as we got the boat facing into the wind and started to jig. Yaz managed to get a limit of keepers, while Jig-jig-thump had the biggest. All totaled on this day, as was the previous day, over 100 fish boated, most in the +17" to 18.75" range, with a total catch of 11 keepers for our boat. The other party managed 3 keepers for the day in their boat. Again, it was the boat control that allowed us to effectively present our baits and methodically fish an area.

The hot baits were the plastic firetiger twin tail again/4" Gulp white shrimp pattern/7" Gulp Nuclear Chicken colored jerk shads. The fish had no problem going for, and repeatedly hitting the larger plastics and jerk shads. Even the smaller fish engulfed these baits without hesitation. Throughout the two days we had some, but limited success with the normal squid/minnow sandwhich bait.

On Wed. fishinggirlpa and I decided to start the northward trek home. She decided that we'd hit AI for a short bit and enjoy the day. We stopped by Capt. Steve's and grabbed two peelers before hitting the beach. We got there around 1'ish or so. We went to the P4 parking area (last before the OSV area). Not expecting to do much but wet a line, we only took our spikes, rods, and a couple of chairs. Used FF rigs with 6/0 and 8/0 circle hooks. Tide was out going and the water didn't look too bad. Winds seemed to be a little out of the east. But not bad at all. After about half an hour we decided to have a bite to eat. While fishingirlpa went to grab some food out of the Jeep I rebaited and threw out one of the lines. While enjoying our lunch, fishingilrpa's rod doubles over and the bait runner is screaming. She's tied into a nice fish. Once we got it beached it was a nice 38" striper. Her first surf caught striper in less then half an hour of fishing this day. WTG fishingirlpa!! :icon_thumright:

After I got the fish into the cooler back at the Jeep, it was my turn. I finished my sandwich and decided to make one more cast before calling it a great weekend on the shore. I rebaited and threw out. Not ten minutes after, my rod is doubled and the bait runner is screaming. Now I am tied into a nice fish. After the battle I managed to have a nice 36" striper on the beach myself. We saw several others land some decent sized fish before packing up and calling it a day. A quick stop at Capt. Steve's for a few pictures and length/weight measurements and we were on our way north.

All in all it was a memorable fishing vacation with some good freinds, some new friends, good times, and some great fishing!

Sorry to have been long winded.

Good job catching! Thanks for the report. :)

Great informative report, sounds like you all got your share and also sounds like there'll be plenty of fish dinners in the freezer to eat and relive the trip !!

Thanks. Not to mention some nice pictures to enjoy after the meals are done.