6 posts in this topic

had 2 good knock downs on bunker heads on monday but by the time i got to rod fish was gone and head still on hook. i use 9/0 gamu big eye circles .are there any tricks to hookin heads, should i try a larger gap circle hook thanks

Put a slight offset in your hooks and hook between the nostrils. This will allow a substantial amount of hook exposed. Iam not sure if those big eyes can be offset. I think I tried one time and snapped them...but really not sure if that was the hook. The offset is suppose to help with hook ups...not sure I am a believer but has worked for me so far. Some say you may gut hook with an offset...hasn't happened yet.

You can also try cutting the lower jaw off. I do this with large heads but small ones I leave alone. A large head sliding out of the throat may be problematic for a hook up in the mouth.

Dull hooks is another problem, but those gami's are normally razor sharp out of the package.

good luck and good fishin!

you got all the right rigs man, just hook them with as little as possible "nose" on the hook. Also, how ya fishing your drags? Regardless sometimes stripers drop the bait and it just happens, nothing you can do about it short of holding your rods and fishing J hooks.

keep my drags fairly tight. dont have any bait runner reels. should i loosen my drags so fish can run a little then tighten and set up?

Yeah, i keep my drags loosey goosey. when you get the rod in your hand, just tighten down a smidge, give a crank or two, and usually they're on.

I fish them all just to the point before line will travel out on it's own...make sense? Sometimes they'll pickup a head in their jaw and have it there before it gets in the gullet, they need time and 'slack' to get it situated...loosen those drags or if you really want to fish a tight drag go to a much longet hook leader...like 2'.