16 posts in this topic

whats up with the extra long surf rod holders on the beach ? Is that a conventional reel thing or just preference ? I want all the advantage I can get.:confused:

the higher the spike the more line is out of the water and shore break waves. It really does make a big difference, esp when there is grass in the water.

On the flip side, the higher the spike the harder it is to get the rod out when a fish is on. so there is tradeoff there.

Also the longer the spike the farther you can drive it into the ground.

gets your line up over the break so you have less wave impact on your tips. In turn it keeps the weeds at bay a bit, you can spike closer to the surf, sometimes require less weight to hold bottom, and look cool...

not sure there is an advantage to going longer then 6' or so. I think mine are 6'6". They do STAY in the ground well. I use temporary fence posts with a 2' 2" PVC pipe bolted on the top, works perfect and costs about 8$ a piece.

Also the longer the spike the farther you can drive it into the ground.

This is the main reason I use a long sand spike.

gets your line up over the break so you have less wave impact on your tips. In turn it keeps the weeds at bay a bit, you can spike closer to the surf, sometimes require less weight to hold bottom, and look cool...

not sure there is an advantage to going longer then 6' or so. I think mine are 6'6". They do STAY in the ground well. I use temporary fence posts with a 2' 2" PVC pipe bolted on the top, works perfect and costs about 8$ a piece.

As for material I us a 10' stick of 2" cut in half on an angle so I get 2 5 foot spikes.

On the flip side, the higher the spike the harder it is to get the rod out when a fish is on. so there is tradeoff there.

not a problem with quick release spikes

Trim the side back so you can just lift the pole straight backwards, leave a few inches of whole tube about 3-4 inches up from a through bolt at the bottom of the pole.

here's mine. I use the fence post, like what's been mentioned. I cut a 2" long by 2" diameter piece of PVC in half, and bolt it to the top of the fence post, with brass bolts and SS wing nuts. Makes taking up the rod a breeze, a length of velcro can keep the rod in check for those that are worried of them falling out on a hard hit, but more often than not the rod goes down, and STAYS down until you get to it. An end cap gets bolted to the bottom for the rod but, and is adjustable, using the same bolt/wing nut combo.

okracoke.jpg.f1d4abfb676f56ca6d8abf30797

a better shot.

Jeepcreep...I like those spikes...well done!

My buddy and I combined our ideas to come up with a pretty cool concept......We use thick square tube aluminum 1" x 8' "square stock" from home depot.....it's $15 for an 8' long piece. It's really strong yet it's very light...it has never bent on me......bolt a pvc cap for the rod butt. For the top piece, cut a piece of pvc in the shape of a "C".....cover the "C" with shrink tubing and leaving extra tubing on it like flaps to hold the rod in there incase it bounces around......but the "flaps" are flexible enough to push through when you are putting your rod up in the holder...and it releases like a charm...Same overall concept as the ones above.....just slightly different material...( the larger pvc cap on the bottom is removable, it just velcro's on there and serves as a "bait holder" when you're changing bait.....)

sand-spike.jpg.c6a4d469fd46aa819b99f8dbb

SBM, shrink tubing idea is awesome! I'll be stealing that for sure!:icon_thumright:

The only problem with the fence post ones that i have is that the bottoms ( the part in the sand) are starting to bend a bit, from setting them in stiff low tide sand.

but for $4 a piece @ 6 spikes...still worth it. If i could secure them inside my jeep, and not bungee'd to the roof, I'd go aluminum angle like yours.

his are square tubing which is key, I tried the angle before and it is way too flimsy...at least the gauge I got was...

We came up with our idea after a few trials and errors....He first used the square stock, and used bent aluminum for the butt holder and the "C" bracket on the top wrapped with electrical tap to protect against abrasions...but I had to be different....First I used angle stock, and it was kinds pricey, and the stuff bent on me the first time out......so, no good.....then I went the 90 degree angle pieces you use for garage door track material.....had 2 pieces bolted together and it weighed a ton......and it bent.......Thus falling back on the square stock....went with the pvc and the shrink tubing......It is a little pricey, but when it's all said an done, you're around $20 for an insane rocket launcher.....We had to cut 6 inches off the bottom to get it in the back of my buddies truck diagonally, under the cap.... The picture I posted above was my original prototype...The next one I made was the same, but I raised the butt pvc cap even higher.....I only have about 12-14 inches of the rod butt in the holder.....basically the rod butt is close to 5 feet off the ground.....

It works great at <ACRONYM title="Assateague Island">AI</ACRONYM> when the surf is rough and fishy.......

Stan

Keep your hooks sharp, and your lines tight !!!

I used CharkBaits's pictures (of sand spike) and they tuned out very good.. Cant wait to try them this weekend.

I've used Charkbait's spikes (can't beat them for the money) and I've also used Coops. Both are very nice and it is definitely a good idea to keep them out of the inshore breakers. There is all kinds of stuff washing around in there that could nick your line.